Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at replacing the shock on my trek y33... it is a xl sized frame....i bought the bike used and it has some cheap "manitou ti springs" fork on it. my lbs says its it is crap.... any ideas for what i should replace it with?. i ride alot of single track and road, not much jumping( the occasional two or three footer), the bike still has the v brakes on it and i will be using my mavic crossrides. it is bad enough that when i turn to the left or the right that the brakes rub on the rim and i dont think it is the rim flexing. this is my main reason for wanting something else! i weigh around 220 and am about 6-3 so any ideas?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You bought a used Y33? With its original shock? Wow. Have you considred getting something that works better? Y33s are crap compared to so many other bikes out there (I've ridden one, believe me, there's much much much better---that's why Trek got rid of the design). I kinda remember a Manitou shock with ti spring option (a good thing in it's day) several years back, probably a 28mm fork that's very flexy by today's standards. You might look for a 32mm stanchion fork for stiffness to help handle your size, Fox and Marzocchi would be top of my list. You might find the price of a good fork exceeds the value of your bike, tho.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
for your weight I'd go with something that tracks better (marzocchi or fox). You don't want to go with more than 80mm travel, as those bikes were designed for 63-70mm travel forks.

Now, those fs/sx ti's weren't bad forks for their day, decent dampers, but they're more suited to lighter riders.
for new forks on a budget, check out manitou axle/skarebs/blacks, I'm not sure which is better suited for a heavier rider (I'm a longtime 'zoke fan).. for used, you can pick up a 98-02 marzocchi Z2/atom or marathon for a decent price.

ginntonic75 said:
i am looking at replacing the shock on my trek y33... it is a xl sized frame....i bought the bike used and it has some cheap "manitou ti springs" fork on it. my lbs says its it is crap.... any ideas for what i should replace it with?. i ride alot of single track and road, not much jumping( the occasional two or three footer), the bike still has the v brakes on it and i will be using my mavic crossrides. it is bad enough that when i turn to the left or the right that the brakes rub on the rim and i dont think it is the rim flexing. this is my main reason for wanting something else! i weigh around 220 and am about 6-3 so any ideas?

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Y bike ride

I rode the crap out of two Y bikes - both broke at the BB chainstay weld area - total of two free bikes warranted by Trek. Gotta love lifetime warrantees.

As far as the shock, my favorite was the ALPS 4 Fox shock, it had just enough stiction off the top of the stroke to keep the bike from bobbing and I had the shock custom valved by Fox for my riding style. One of the bikes bad raps comes from people wanting to run the bike with a plush rear end. You can run a plush set up in the rear as long as you have a remote lock-out, or you want one hell of a workout.

On the fork side - I ran a Psylo Race 100mm fork with no handeling issues.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.