Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MTBR Spastic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

im looking at picking up a "budget" FS bike for a local trail here in Kansas..

i did have a Roscoe 1, Which i loved! but i was stupid on my day of moving and it got left behind... anyway!! enough of that, it makes me want to throw up every time i think about it lol..

i know its not really a recommended thing that you go for a FS that is less than a grand, but im just after a casual wizz around the local trails..

https://www.swopetrails.com/

that's probably the trail i will use most often.. you can also you tube Swope mountain bike trails for vids.

any ideas on a sub 600 dollar FS bike would be greatly appreciated! i have been looking at this one online..

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/rh_25.htm

im 5'10 160lbs ish..

im not looking to do any hard core stuff on it, just some rough trails which is why im not interested in the arse busting hard tails hehe.. i loved my Roscoe 1 on the crested butte trails in CO.. not looking to do all that with this bike.

thank you in advance.

Edit - found this post here..

4JawChuck said:
I've seen last years low end brandname hardtails with disc brakes at my LBS correctly assembled by experienced techs for $370, I wonder why you bother?

I bought my wife a brand new old stock 2007 Trek Fuel 70 dual suspension bike for $550 CDN last year, totally impressed with it performance for the price...she loves it. I have swapped bikes with her to see how it rides and have to say its pretty good just basic, the fork has a lockout and air adjustable rear suspension with no knobs to twiddle but it doesn't really need it so...

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/fuel-70-10079

How can you go wrong for less than $600 and get dual suspension that actually works? Walmart is for kids bikes that will be grown out of in a year...not adult bikes. Even then you have to completely disassemble and rebuild the bike to ensure it will be reliable and not dangerous.

I bought my 6 yr/old twins K-mart hardtails because they had 6 spd twist grip shifters and vee brakes for $75 each, the bottom brackets were so poorly assembled the loose bearings fell out when we got them home. I had to rebuild the bikes and grease the bottom bracket (no grease!) and adjust everything so it worked but in the end they were OK.

Unbelievably poor assembly from the store, I think Sears is better but have no experience buying from them. I did witness an old timer building bikes at Sears once and watched to see what he was doing and he at least seemed to have some experience and had an actual torque wrench to make sure the stems were torqued and straight and the forks weren't installed backwards.

Still the same crappy bikes at Sears...just better built.
wow! what a deal, where on earth do i find a deal like that!?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Your not the only one who only hears of these great deals but never stumbles across them. They are few and far between.

Your best value is probably a recent model used bike - if it's in good shape and the seller is realistic about its value. Keep an eye on your local craigslist and be patient. When something that meets your needs comes along at a decent price, contact the seller quickly - you won't be the only person looking.

·
Registered
134 Posts
craigs list. all over th eplace. look in other cities than your. a bike cost what about 60-70 to ship.

the bike direct bike they use good componenct they save money on there frames that is all. so it is a quality bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.