Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys.. Long time lurker here, just looking for some info..

Long story short.. Getting back into riding trail and singletrack after not riding for the better part of 25 yrs.. Was a hardcore BMX ramp/jump rider that rode the woods whenever possible. The 2 just seemed to fit. :)

Fast forward to now, and after getting a godawful (and I knew it when I bought it) DS bike and using hard for the last few yrs, It's time for an upgrade, by comparison.

The budgets limited, so I've narrowed it down to these 2.. I like them both.. :)

First ones a DS, which I REALLY can't find ANYTHING on anywhere, including here.. The component group isn't bad either. Not the best, but not dept store garbage either..

Dawes Roundhouse 2500

The next isn't QUITE the top of the line in the series, but sure has quite a good component group overall, aside from the forks..

Motobecane Fantom Trail

For the most part, the component groups are comparable, except for the brakes. The cranks on either would have to be swapped if the BB craps out, due to incompatibilities from what I've read, but then again for 20 bucks, a new BB is cheap, compared to 250 for a full BB/crankset.

I'm thinking the Dawes roundhouse DS MAY be the better choice due to my love of hangtime, jumps, and drops. Then I look at the Fantom Trail HT and think, better frame, that could handle everything I throw at it I'd guess.. Question is, will my knees? :D

Oh, a lil more info.. 5'7" Tall, 130# (yeah, I'm a lightweight, LOL ) about 30" inseam to the short n curlys.. :rolleyes: I'm guessing a 16" would be optimum, but a 17 IS doable.. I'm riding anywheres between 10 and 20 miles once a week (wish I could go more) on mainly hardpack/paved trail, with trips off it into singletracks. I haven't hit a LBS to actually SEE what'd work yet..

Building it and maintenance is not an issue. I'm a machine mechanic by trade, and have worked on bikes before, so no worries at all there.

What say you ? Thanks in advance.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The hardtail would be better suited to the type of riding you describe and could handle more.

Most people suggest not getting a fs bike unless you have a bigger budget. I wouldn't consider any fs bike that didn't have an air shock, especially at you're weight.

The Fantom Trail appears to be a solid choice. You may want to check your local craigslist and ebay, too. Although they seem to be few and far between, you do see some deals occasionally.

·
you never can tell
65 Posts
I too had been using a POS dual suspension bike, while building the budget for a new bike. I knew based on my riding style and preferences that a hardtail would suit me more, and allow a bit more bike for my money (in my <$650 budget).

Both of those bikes seem sound in this price range, but I'd bet the Dawes is heavier, and some of the components aren't as good as on the Fantom (fork, brakes, shifters).

I'm thinking the Dawes roundhouse DS MAY be the better choice due to my love of hangtime, jumps, and drops. Then I look at the Fantom Trail HT and think, better frame, that could handle everything I throw at it I'd guess.. Question is, will my knees?....I'm riding anywheres between 10 and 20 miles once a week (wish I could go more) on mainly hardpack/paved trail, with trips off it into singletracks.
If this is an honest (with yourself) assessment of the type of riding you'll be doing most of the time, then I'd also suggest go with a hardtail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Ive read about not going FS unless you hit the 1k price..

I've been watching CL alot, and use the CL searcher.. Seems about everyones smoking crack when they go about pricing.. LOL Nothing much to be had locally inside of an hours drive or so to make it worth it.

Unfortunately I can't find ANYTHING review wise on the Dawes at all... ANYWHERE.. I'm usually one with google, but this one eludes me.. :madman: The weight was one of the things im curious about..

The Fantom, OTOH I've read TONS about.. Seems to be a solid performer for the most part.. Weakest link on that bike is the fork, and possibly the crankset/BB. But for me, it'll work fine. I'm not hardcore.......YET.. :thumbsup:

Kinda thought I made a solid choice, but wanted to be sure.. After being out of the game for years and knowing what was good back then kinda threw me off..

Just want to be sure the money to value is what it should be..

I've yet to hit the LBS in the area to see whats available. May be able to get something comparable for the same or a bit less on clearance.. It's a crapshoot.

Thanks again..

Anyone else ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts