Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to welcome myself. I am in the progress of fabricating a Rear Disc plate on a non disc frame. I hear people say it's not possible, and never recieved a legitement reason to why it couldn't be done. Maybe they are just trying to sucker me into buying a new bike:) I had this Specialized Ground control for quite some time so it's good for all the abuse I put it through. But the only problem I do have is the brakes. I decided to fabricate an aluminum plate that is about 5/16" thick. Cut it out, and stripped the rear arm to bear metal (aluminum). Here are some pics.

Would love to get some input, See if anyone has attempted it, results etc.

I will post results on the 1st/2nd of May.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ThomasFrkovich said:
I just finished cutting out the aluminum plate
are you gonna heat treat it after? also the stress from the welding process itself might do harm.

I did a bolt-on mount for my Zaskar using a Hayes 22mm caliper (did a thread on it awhile ago), but i dont expect to be stressing it that much.

be careful

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heat Treated!!!

I would assume the welder will know how to handle all that since he worked on some motorcycle fabrications etc. with disc brakes and aluminum. That's what encouraged me to try this and trust his work. If I come back with broken bones I can offically say the project was a failure:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well if the motorcycle guy worked on steel stuff he did not need to do the heat trating. The aluminum will need to be done. The Specialized waranty will be void. I just used the sharkfin to put the disc on my 99 fsrxc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is that Sharfkin?

What's the advantage or necessaties of heat treating?

Hardline said:
Well if the motorcycle guy worked on steel stuff he did not need to do the heat trating. The aluminum will need to be done. The Specialized waranty will be void. I just used the sharkfin to put the disc on my 99 fsrxc.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
There are 2 ways to put disc brakes on that bike.

1.Call Risse and get a different rear piece. They make an upgrade.

2.Specialized actually made piece to add disc brakes to FSRs. My 2000 Big Hit had it. It bolts into the V-brake hole and then you drill a small hole in the frame near the rear axle and bolt it on. I used the Specialized piece to change a Raleigh to discs in 99.

Someone with a 2000 Big Hit could post a pic and then you might understand.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ThomasFrkovich said:
What's the advantage or necessaties of heat treating?
because the typical alloy used (6061) turns to butter after welding, so it needs to be treated back into the stronger T6 state. If it isnt treated, it'll fail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Butter!!!

Whoa!!! Maybe it would be best to get a new bike:)

The whole thought of riding an extinct dinosaur (99' Specialized) w/ disc brakes and rides just as other bikes was a good thought. I just hate being like everyone else on that trail with Giant A2's, Specialized Big Hits, Ventanas, Konas, etc.. Basicly the same set of bikes used on the trail and dealing with buying one just like everyone else has just kills it. I wanted to be sort of unique here :mad:

But haven't scene a Risse Bike (thanks for that info), but a bit pricey there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone on thier input. I decided to get a new frame. I was pointed out, to a few websites:

SuperGo.com
Jenson etc.

To get decent frame alternatives for freeriding. I never knew the diffrence between a 3" travel and 5-6" Travel. I could use the 5" travel for the trails I will be hitting. The pep talk I have via PM was pretty convincing and educational.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
ThomasFrkovich said:
I just wanted to thank everyone on thier input. I decided to get a new frame. I was pointed out, to a few websites:

SuperGo.com
Jenson etc.

To get decent frame alternatives for freeriding. I never knew the diffrence between a 3" travel and 5-6" Travel. I could use the 5" travel for the trails I will be hitting. The pep talk I have via PM was pretty convincing and educational.
great choice...Kona Coiler (6inches of travel) is a nice bike

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
you could think about a Brake Therapy upgrade?
But I wouldn't put that much $$ into that old of a frame, your best bet would be to retire the old gal and upgrade

·
Sirstopsalot
104 Posts
zedro said:
because the typical alloy used (6061) turns to butter after welding, so it needs to be treated back into the stronger T6 state. If it isnt treated, it'll fail.
I did not know the bikes were heat treated after being welded. Thats why frames crack on the edge of the welds

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I've got some good news, and some bad news . . .

Good news, those brakes are the best, same as 02' XT, Gremica System 8 (or whatever) 4 piston calip. work great!!, keep them brakes to build up a killer ride.

Bad news, that's no 1999 bike, it's a 1997, trust me I know, had one. seatstays are part of the lower shock mount, special "that bike only" rock shox shock, which sucks balls by the way.

Shark fin is still available on Specialized web site, about $50 bucks I think . . .

But really, get a new frame, you'll brake that one and maybe get hurt, that would be bad . . .

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was calld the shark fin

II bet it would be hard to find though

kanter said:
There are 2 ways to put disc brakes on that bike.

1.Call Risse and get a different rear piece. They make an upgrade.

2.Specialized actually made piece to add disc brakes to FSRs. My 2000 Big Hit had it. It bolts into the V-brake hole and then you drill a small hole in the frame near the rear axle and bolt it on. I used the Specialized piece to change a Raleigh to discs in 99.

Someone with a 2000 Big Hit could post a pic and then you might understand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SharksFin / Kona Coiler / 97-99 Typo

That sharks fin would have been nice to have scene before I stripped the paint:) and when I was just riding some light trails and what not. Cool Upgrade. From all that I have learned, a 5" rear shock should handle a whole lot of abuse. I think I measured mine and it seems to have an 1 1/2" travel :D

That Kona Coiler that was brought up was one on my wish list. Seems pretty reliable from what I heard and very affordable compared to others. May take a $h!7 load of pennies to save up, but just may be worth ever little bit. At the same time, supergo.com has this Weyless Frame W/O shock for $249 which seems cool, but haven't heard or scene any reviews on that frame. Plus I'm a bit concerned if that is a Supergo bike branded with another name. Any info/feedback on Weyless?

And yes, that is a 1997 Ground Control I have. I realized that after searching the net and found that out today after reading the previous thread.

Oh well I'm dumping the frame, will salvage the parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.