Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need some help with rear hubs

804 views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
Trying to get some better rear end hubs for a 2005 Demo8 Pro and a 2006 SX Trail2.

I know both bikes run 135mm spacing, and the SX Trail runs a 10mm bolt on, however I am not sure on the Demo8. Is it 10mm or 12mm?

Does anybody have a couple of good recommendations on rear hubs for either bike. Must be 36 hole, and I am not interested in conversion kits, to make it a thru axel.

When I shop online, the descriptions rarely mention whether its a bolt on or a thru axel, so I am somewhat confused, or maybe just missing something???

Weight is not an issue, and I dont mind spending up to $300 on either one.

Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
The Hadleys really are a sweet choice, but also have a look at the DT Swiss FR hub. I'm running one on my 6-pack, and it has been bomb proof. They don't come in all the sweet colors like Hadleys, but are just as reliable, and lighter than the Hadleys.

Attachments

#7 ·
I appreciate all your replies, and I might go with a Hadley, however I am still uncertain on which one to get, in terms of what will fit the bike. For the Demo8, do I just ask for a 12mm bolt on, 135mm spacing? When you buy a bolt on hub, do you get the bolts with the hub together? Or are you supposed to use the ones that come with the bike? If the bike specs a 12mm, can I use a 10mm instead? Its just the width of the bolts right?
Thanks again, for your help....its just my first time swapping out hubs, so got to learn somewhere.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
powderrecon said:
I appreciate all your replies, and I might go with a Hadley, however I am still uncertain on which one to get, in terms of what will fit the bike. For the Demo8, do I just ask for a 12mm bolt on, 135mm spacing? When you buy a bolt on hub, do you get the bolts with the hub together? Or are you supposed to use the ones that come with the bike? If the bike specs a 12mm, can I use a 10mm instead? Its just the width of the bolts right?
Thanks again, for your help....its just my first time swapping out hubs, so got to learn somewhere.
You'll prolly be ok with either you get. but go with a 12mm if you have choice. Check the sizing of the drop outs to make sure it will support a 12mm TA.
On my Freeride Bike, I currently have a hub that is convertible to either 10mm or 12mm. It's a 135mm Spacing Hub. I have a 10mm thru axle that I use right now. It's the hadley 10mm thru axle. I will be converting it to 12mm TA that steps down to a 10mm so it's fits my frame. I want the stiffness of a 12mm TA. It's nice that it's made so no mods are neccessary, it has a 10mm shoulder. Made by NYCFreeride. Just my .02 :D

#12 ·
Give these guys a call. I bought my hubs from them and they are the best hubs I've owned.

Hadley is one of the baddest hubs out there, and these guys have them.

Link

I your buying it for your demo8 then you can use the bolt that comes with your demo.
Which is the same thing I did on my demo9.

i believe you have the 135mm spacing on yours so those will be easier to get from Unreal cycles than my 150mm 108pt Hadley's on my demo.

#13 ·
I've got an '05 Demo and I just purchased a 36 spoke Hadley rear hub for it. You'll need to get it in a 10mm cause the 12mm won't work. I ordered the 12mm initially and to my dismay after having the wheel built it wouldn't fit. Thanks to some smart thinking by my bike shop they were able to take the axel from a Hadley 10mm and put it on mine. This was no conversion kit, it just happens that Hadley's axel systems are interchangeable from 10mm to 12mm. The 10mm will probably cost a few dollars more because it has the axel included which is well worth it because you only tighten from one side using an hex wrench (a lot better than the piece of sh#t axel that comes with the demo 8). The only thing is that you won't be able to use the cute little deraileur protector that mounts up to the stock axel but its not that big of a deal. You'll probably be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-$290. Hope this helps you.

#14 ·
FYI: I forgot to tell you that if you do order the Hadley for the Demo 8 through mail order, just make sure they include the 10mm axel. Also see if it has a product manual with it because right now those things come at a premium and it helps for when you need to take the hub apart for cleaning. There's not really that much to the hubs but if you ever see one taken apart you can tell your getting a quality product. Oh yeah, when I had my wheel built they noted it was for a Specialized Demo 8, (something about Specialized FSR rearend being offset I think) ??? not too sure myself, I'm still learning the wheel game but just mention that when you have it built, it can't hurt.

#15 ·
skate said:
Give these guys a call. I bought my hubs from them and they are the best hubs I've owned.

Hadley is one of the baddest hubs out there, and these guys have them.

Link

I your buying it for your demo8 then you can use the bolt that comes with your demo.
Which is the same thing I did on my demo9.

i believe you have the 135mm spacing on yours so those will be easier to get from Unreal cycles than my 150mm 108pt Hadley's on my demo.
Cool. Thanks for the link. So I would just get something like this one, as my rims are 36 hole.

10mm Ti-Bolt, 36 hole, black $280

Do you know if this is a loud hub? You know....the tzzzzzz sound?

#16 ·
powderrecon said:
Cool. Thanks for the link. So I would just get something like this one, as my rims are 36 hole.

Well I have the 108pt engagment, which is probably what you will end up getting since they are more common on 135mm hubs.

As far as the noise it really isn't as loud as I thought it would be, and it's definatly not as loud as a chris king. in either case it has its smooth ratcheting sound to it. Not to Loud and Not to Soft. in kind of in between compared to standard hubs and a chris king. It's just right........

Hope that description works for you.

#17 ·
skate said:
Well I have the 108pt engagment, which is probably what you will end up getting since they are more common on 135mm hubs.

As far as the noise it really isn't as loud as I thought it would be, and it's definatly not as loud as a chris king. in either case it has its smooth ratcheting sound to it. Not to Loud and Not to Soft. in kind of in between compared to standard hubs and a chris king. It's just right........

Hope that description works for you.
Thats exactly what I was looking for in relation to loudness. My Ringle on the back of my Demo9 is like that also. Not to loud, however not to soft also. Exactly what I was looking for.

So was what I picked out above correct?

Thanks again.

#18 ·
powderrecon said:

oh yes.. but not as loud as i imagined. it's a nice tzzzz... not an unbearable unable-to-think tzzz. screaming along a downhill run and pedaling backwards.. sometimes i think something's gonna pop... :eek: hikers turn around a good distance away when they hear me comin.

#19 ·
powderrecon said:
Thats exactly what I was looking for in relation to loudness. My Ringle on the back of my Demo9 is like that also. Not to loud, however not to soft also. Exactly what I was looking for.

So was what I picked out above correct?

Thanks again.
Yeah, that should work if you do not want to use your own solid axle that came with the demo 8.

I would still recommend if your buying from unreal bikes to ask for this guy when you call just so you know for sure that what your getting will work.

This guy is awsome and is knowledgeable and helpfull when it comes down to hadley hubs.

* Ben Wnuk *
Unreal Cycles

Give him a call. I had nothing but the best experiance with him when I ordered my Hadley's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.