Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I appreciate any help you can give. I'm 5'10" tall and 165 lbs. I've been riding my friend's mongoose FS lately. I've decided it's time to buy my own bike. I do a mix of XC and AM. At the most the drops i do are maybe 4' give or a take a foot. I'd like to get something that can be upgraded as needed. I'm not sure whether i want to go with a Hardtail or FS. The mongoose i've been riding is a FS but it's not the best quality bike ever. I'd like to keep my budget around $1k. I've been looking at the Trek and Ibex lines mainly. I'm just curious if you guys have input on other brands you think might work. I went to my LBS the other day and he was pushing me towards the Trek 4900 Hardtail.

James

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
the Trek 4900 probably would not be a good bike for your type of riding, the 4900 is a lower-end xc bike. Ibex offers the most bang for your buck and their new Asta series bikes would probably be perfect for your type of riding. Jamis and Ironhorse also have pretty good fs bikes in the $1000 range. If you get a hardtail you might be better off with more of a freeride hardtail, something thats built a little sturdier than your average hardtail and has more suspension travel.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1029600&f=16
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_komodo2.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the Asta series fairly light? I'm not exactly sure how much the mongoose i've been riding weighs but; I want something that is somewhat lighter. Also, any idea when their 07' line is coming out?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
check the Ibex forums, there are some threads about the Asta series bikes there. i think the asta's weigh around 30lbs. which isnt bad. the 07's probably wont be out till early 07'. if you have any other ibex questions give ibex a call or email them, they are really helpful folks there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.