Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all I am wanting to get back into rideing and I am lost on what to buy. When I use to ride before I was around 190lbs and had a nice StumpJumper that was stock. This bike was stolen from my apartment 3rd story patio and I decied that I would not get another bike till I was in a house. I am now in a house and wanting to shed some lbs. I am looking for an entry level bile and I am leaning towards a Rock Hopper or something along that line. Here is the rub I have added quite a few lbs to my frame and I am want something that will handle my 6' 3" 260lbs frame. As for my budget I am wanting to stay under $900 for the bike I still have most of the extras that will be needed (helmet, water bottles/cages, camelback) So any ideas other then a Rock Hopper Comp? I am wanting to stay with a hard tail as for the next year or so I figure I will be staying on fairly easy rides and trails. I know I am way out of shape and am wanting to take it nice and easy. Some of my reason to get back in shape are the same as everyone else, vanity and lack of energy, other are to be a better scuba diver and better dad. I recently taught my son how ot ride a bike and he wants me to go ride with him and his mom. I do not mind have to upgrade a bike but I do not want to have to do so in a month. Thanks in advance for any help

Luke

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Rockhopper comp disc

I'll take this bike as the sub-$900 clyde bike over the Hoss in a heartbeat. Both good bikes, but I like the fact that the Rockhopper has Avid disc brakes, an LX rear derailleur, and the fork is an XC fork with 32 mm cromoly stanchions, and dual coil, whereas the fork on the Hoss is coil/mcu, 32mm hi-ten steel stanchions and geared towards dirt jumping. The Hoss uses Hayes discs and a Deore rear derailleur. My money is better spent on the Rockhopper and I've been pointing people towards it all year long for the reasons stated above.

Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all I will see if I can find a Kona Hoss to test ride. Any others? I am just now starting to shop I sam looking to give a bike a good home some time by the end of the August so I got time

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
ScubaLuke said:
Thanks all I will see if I can find a Kona Hoss to test ride. Any others? I am just now starting to shop I sam looking to give a bike a good home some time by the end of the August so I got time
CmC just chew me like gum & spit me on the trail somewhere!! If you are looking for real Clyd advise listen to CmC he knows what he is talking about. :aureola::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Consumer Reports has a very general article covering low-cost mountain bikes, and we also found decent coverage in Mountain Bike Magazine, which divides its picks into categories such as "New Rider" and "Average Joe." Most other expert-written mountain-bike reviews we found are outdated, and more current articles stop short of making direct model-to-model comparisons. It's always good to check what this organization has to say before spending our money.

Rose

·
Registered
454 Posts
rose05 said:
Consumer Reports has a very general article covering low-cost mountain bikes, and we also found decent coverage in Mountain Bike Magazine, which divides its picks into categories such as "New Rider" and "Average Joe." Most other expert-written mountain-bike reviews we found are outdated, and more current articles stop short of making direct model-to-model comparisons. It's always good to check what this organization has to say before spending our money.

Rose
Forget that RAG! Bike mags suck too. It's all about what mfr sends them the most advertising dollars and swag IMO. Get your but over to a Specialized shop and a Kona shop (if you can) and ride the two mentioned back to back. I know CmC is on the mark but I think the difference is like splitting hairs and you wont feel the difference between a Deore and a LX component. The feel and comfort of these bikes is the key to which one YOU, not anyone here, will be happier with. Lots of guys are happy on both models.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I respectfully disagree

rose05 said:

Rose
Consumer Reports is a good place to start, but probably not the best place to look for reviews. My guess is that the info you get on a site like mtbr would be more appropriate. As for MBA classifying categories such as "New Rider" and "Average Joe" I question that logic, too. Think of it this way-just because I'm a new, average Joe car driver, does that mean I should buy a Kia rather than a Toyota?

Everyone has different needs and price ranges. Many of us ask very specific questions of a rider before we make a recommendation. A rider's weight, the type of riding they intend to do, their budget and other factors help us to steer nthem towards the right options. Again CR and MBA are good places to start, but not the "Bible" that unknowing consumers might think they are.

Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after test riding both several times I am going to get the Rockhopper Comp Disc. It just seem to fit me better the Hoss. I am not sure if the bars where wider or not but it seemed to open up my chest more which is more comfortable to me.

Thanks again all

·
Registered
454 Posts
Congrats

The Hardrock is a great bike. Glad to hear you did the test ride. It's the best way to ensure you got the right one for you. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.