Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, iam looking for some help, i have a Trek EX8 2008 and i need to replace the rear hub. want to get a Hope pro 2 but iam not sure about the different types. iam pretty sure i need a 10mm/ 135mm 28 hole QR, but when looking for one i find 28 hole saint 10mm?? 28 hole qr?? or 28 hole 10mm/135 bolt in???? :confused: :confused:

what is the difference between the qr and bolt in? also what is the saint??? :confused: :confused:

many thanks

james.

·
Registered
342 Posts
jcbjamers said:
Hi all, iam looking for some help, i have a Trek EX8 2008 and i need to replace the rear hub. want to get a Hope pro 2 but iam not sure about the different types. iam pretty sure i need a 10mm/ 135mm 28 hole QR, but when looking for one i find 28 hole saint 10mm?? 28 hole qr?? or 28 hole 10mm/135 bolt in???? :confused: :confused:

what is the difference between the qr and bolt in? also what is the saint??? :confused: :confused:

many thanks

james.
I run a Pro 2 135mm 32 hole QR rear hub on my bike and it's a great product IMO. I didn't know they made 28 hole rear hubs I've only seen 32 or 36. Saint hubs are made for freeride and are pretty burly and a lot heavier than the Pro 2. QR is quick release and bolt on is exactly that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lambdmaster, i take it the standard 28 hole qr is a 10mm axle? yeah i do have quick release but you do have to take it all the way out to get wheel out as it is a trek with ABP scewer, just wasnt sure if that is classed as bolt in or not?

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
No, the ABP is not considered a bolt on axle so go with the 10mm QR. Bolt on axles have big external bolts similar to a BMX bike wheel. Is that a Bontrager wheel you're replacing and is why it's 28 hole?

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
zebrahum said:
No, the ABP is not considered a bolt on axle so go with the 10mm QR. Bolt on axles have big external bolts similar to a BMX bike wheel. Is that a Bontrager wheel you're replacing and is why it's 28 hole?
I suppose trek thought the bike was xc/FS enough to get away with four fewer spokes for some easy weight savings

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it is a bontrager wheel, hence the 28 hole. The free wheel in the hub is broken, have tried to strip it but cant get the free wheel off so want to get a hope hub on it as i have had them before and rate them highly.

many thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.