Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Rock Shox J1. I have am not happy with these at all, they were stock on the bike & I need to replace it.

I need a bargain fork for trail riding which includes minor drops (1'-3') fast single track big hills & long decents plus the usual rock gardens & trees to climb over.

My price range is low but I am sure I can find something that will fit my needs. $100-$200.

I have been looking at Manitou R7 Comp, but I am not sure about the OE factor.
Other forks I have been looking into are the Rock Shox Tora 302 & the Rock Shox Dart 3, or the Marzocchi MZ Comp.
Any other forks out there that are worth a look in price range?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
If this is the fork you are talking about, I wouldn't hesitate. Why are you worried about OE? It's still Manitou and I've got no problems buying from Jenson. Hell, I'm disappointed. I wanted to buy one for my backup bike, which needs a new fork, but I need brake bosses.

Ronnie.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ronnie said:
If this is the fork you are talking about, I wouldn't hesitate. Why are you worried about OE? It's still Manitou and I've got no problems buying from Jenson. Hell, I'm disappointed. I wanted to buy one for my backup bike, which needs a new fork, but I need brake bosses.

Ronnie.
Original Equipment thing bothers me, mainly because I have the J1 now & it is OE & it sucks bad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
firstly, it doesnt suck because its OE, it sucks because its a budget fork...

the RS dart 3 is pretty much the same for as your OE fork. 2006 j1, j2, j3 are the same as the 2007 dart 1 2 3 etc they just renamed the fork. so id rule that one out.

the OE R7 will be a better fork then your current J1

the tora 302 would be alot stronger and stiffer, but heavier (but still lighter then the j1 you have now). - ideally if you could stretch to it, get a tora that has MC (motion control) damping - this will greatly boost its performance and behave alot less like a pogo stick.

the zocci MZ comp is also an OE model i believe, since the aftermarket version of this fork is called the MX Comp - although i might be wrong. either way it will be a pretty decent fork.

stay away from the dart, consider the r7, but personally id push you in the direction of the tora or the zocci.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Great Stonk said:
firstly, it doesnt suck because its OE, it sucks because its a budget fork...

the RS dart 3 is pretty much the same for as your OE fork. 2006 j1, j2, j3 are the same as the 2007 dart 1 2 3 etc they just renamed the fork. so id rule that one out.

the OE R7 will be a better fork then your current J1

the tora 302 would be alot stronger and stiffer, but heavier (but still lighter then the j1 you have now). - ideally if you could stretch to it, get a tora that has MC (motion control) damping - this will greatly boost its performance and behave alot less like a pogo stick.

the zocci MZ comp is also an OE model i believe, since the aftermarket version of this fork is called the MX Comp - although i might be wrong. either way it will be a pretty decent fork.

stay away from the dart, consider the r7, but personally id push you in the direction of the tora or the zocci.
The J1 I have weighs 5 lbs the Tora 302 is listed at 5.2lbs. Either way it is a better fork just not sure if I need to add anymore weight to a 28lbs bike.

·
Registered
170 Posts
any loss in performance due to the extra 0.2 lbs, would be easily gained back through the extra ability of the fork over the judy.

if you are worried about the weight however, then the zocci would be a tad lighter i belive.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may end up picking the R7 up, however I am looking around to see if there is any good deals on the better models of the r7. Either way I go I guess I am making an improvment to my current.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no better deals that I could find, not even on Ebay for the r7 super. However I did find a good deal on the comp & elite on ebay. I am going to go with the comp though, for 2 reasons it is lighter & has more adjustments you can make to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.