Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new in Fort Collins and my wife is interested in trying mountain biking. I bought her a cheap frame to start and am going to build it up with stuff from my now defunct bike. I'd like to start her out on some easy trails--not too steep and not too rocky. I've ridden Pineridge and Maxwell and most of those trails would be fine. Are there others nearby we should visit on her first few rides?

I think she'll be fine--she used to do a little MTBing on a rigid bike and rides some easy trails with me now on a cross bike. But I don't want to crush her with a tough trail right off the bat.

Thanks.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
The Lory Valley all the way to Loveland

Lory Valley Trails (the West side trails are the best) to either Shoreline or Nomad in HTMP, and continue as far as you like on Blue Sky.

Once they determine whether the eagles are nesting at Bobcat Ridge OS, the Valley Loop, is pretty good.

For a good introduction to more technical riding, you can't beat Hewlett's Gulch.

The newest and largest of all of Ft. Collins Open Space areas is set to open in June, and should have something for everyone as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
llama said:
...my wife is interested in trying mountain biking. I bought her a cheap frame to start and am going to build it up with stuff from my now defunct bike. ..
I think it's great your wife is interested in trying this insanity/heaven. I know my life would be better if my wife shared this passion. You may want to check out the August 2007, Bike Magazine, Ask Chopper (aka, Bible of Bike Advice) column and read his answer to the question "Why is mountain biking such a sausage fest?" for some insight into how to better help your wife learn to love this sport.

·
slow
7,843 Posts
llama said:
Hi all. I'm new in Fort Collins and my wife is interested in trying mountain biking. I bought her a cheap frame to start and am going to build it up with stuff from my now defunct bike. I'd like to start her out on some easy trails--not too steep and not too rocky. I've ridden Pineridge and Maxwell and most of those trails would be fine. Are there others nearby we should visit on her first few rides?

I think she'll be fine--she used to do a little MTBing on a rigid bike and rides some easy trails with me now on a cross bike. But I don't want to crush her with a tough trail right off the bat.

Thanks.
For something easy and close to your house, jump on the Spring Creek bike path and ride down to Riverbend Ponds near Mulberry and Timberline. There are some mostly flat, easy loop options there. Here are some photos, and I'm sure OBDave has some more:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.