Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2012 Trek Superfly from a friend a couple weeks ago. He used to race and does a lot of his own mechanical work (very much a gearhead) and so there's a lot of nice components, including a dropper post. It's the CB Kronolog (see link below), which from my research is notorious for crapping out but hey - it came with the bike (he sold me the whole thing straight up, he only stripped the computer and pedals off it). The bike itself fits me great - I'm just shy of 6'0", the bike is a large (so, 19in I think).

BUT the seatpost is bugging me. The dropper, fully extended, is pushing me a little too far up- my downstroke on the pedals has me reaching just a hair too much. I can remedy this by dropping the post a little and leaving it there, but if I ever do want to drop the whole thing for a descent I've got to pop it back up to its full height and then finagle it to the right spot for me all over again - which sometimes I can do quickly but other times I find myself fiddling with it too much - which is really annoying, especially if I'm going through techy stuff. I bought the bike knowing that this might turn into an issue for me, but I got a great price on the bike and so…I'm dealing with this one quirk.

Is there a way to pre-set the fully extended setting to shorten it? Looking around the CB site, there's not a manual (and my friend didn't give me one for it). I'm at work and can't watch the remote set up video, not even sure that would help me. FYI, I have lowered the post as much as it can go (via the clamp on the bike itself), the post itself won't go any lower than where than the mech housing compartment is on the dropper.

Am I SOL? The dropper is great but I'm not against putting the kabosh on it and getting a regular seatpost until I can scrape some cash together to buy a decent dropper.

By the way - I'm pretty new to riding and am APPALLED at the price of droppers compared to their durability. Seems like every brand has some issue. For ~$350+ I would think these things would be FLAWLESS.

*sigh*

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

++ kronolog seatpost :: crankbrothers.com ++

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there room to lower the dropper in the frame or is it all the way in?
That's what I meant to said "FYI, I have lowered the post as much as it can go (via the clamp on the bike itself), the post itself won't go any lower than where than the mech housing compartment is on the dropper."

So yes, its all the way in.

Guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been - sorry!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The post has a 5 inch travel but can be lowered to 4 inches of travel through an internal spacer. Technically though, its more like 3/4 inches but that may be enough for you. Its not the hardest thing to do. You'll just need a Park Tool red spanner wrench and the spacer. Release the air from the post, use the spanner wrench to unscrew the air cap and insert the spacer. Tighten it back up, throw some air back in and there you go...100mm travel seatpost instead of 125mm.

++ kronolog, eggbeaters, pumps, cranks, bottom brackets, multi tools : CrankBrothers ++

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.