Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in no rush but am trying to figure out what to get for a FS bike. I've been running a Mama for years now and want to do more technical trails. Nothing crazy, but more than I do now.

I can wait for sales/end of season and look at a 14 HT or SF. I'm not sure if the Split-Pivot is worth the wait. The other option is go for a 13 model this season. If I opt for a 13 then I have to decide between a HT 2 or 3. I've heard some don't like the White fork, but I can always swap the fork down the road.

Any feedback/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Besides the Split Pivot--which sounds to me like it's worth it on it's own--the geometry on both the SF and HT have been changed/improved. A little slacker up front, a little lower BB and much shorter chainstays should make for a more fun/maneuverable bike. Sounds like you're not in a huge rush. If there's a chance to hop on both the '14 and '13 models to compare for yourself, you should.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I own 3 salsas but will be looking elsewhere for a FS bike. Though I admire the simplicity of the older bikes rear suspension, the whole flexing aluminum seat stays thing never really made me very comfortable. I can't comment first hand on the new rear suspension, but I don't care for the Fisher/Trek inspired front end geometry(worked for a Trek store, spent plenty of time on the bikes.) Knowing this, I still bought a '14 Mukluk(same GF/Trek front geo.) The problem for me is mostly how floppy the steering gets while climbing; and even though it is more stable while descending, I just can't get a good feel for what the front end is going to do for a given amount of steering input. Just one man's opinion, worked with a bunch of trek fan-boys that couldn't get enough of it.

I'd highly recommend a mass demo event, here in New England we have NEMBA-fest, ride as many different bikes as you can. FWIW, my favorite FS bike is the RIP 9(don't own one or sell them)leave the shock in trail mode and just ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a 2013 horsethief 3 and love it, it does everything I want it to. I got a closeout and the price was too good to pass up. this was my first full suspension bike and I'm using it as a learning tool to figure out what I like and don't like. I originally wanted and still want a niner rip 9 and will probably get one down the road.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice so far. Right now I'm torn between the three options below. Like I said, I have a ride so it's no rush. 1 and 2 mean it's for next season; option 3 would ride this year.

1. Waiting until the end of the season and getting a 14 split-pivot.

2. Getting a 13 HT 1 frame and slowly getting components.

3. Pulling the trigger on a complete 13 HT 3.

I admit I am a Salsa fanboy and have been riding them for so long I see no reason to look anywhere else. My only problem with them is affordability but that is the whole market, not just them. If I could afford it I would be all about a 14 HF. Until then my 11 Mama gets all the attention.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I've had several FS including a Pivot w/DW Link(gold standard). I honestly think the 2013 SF with it's single pivot is every bit as good. Fox's rear shocks have gone a long ways is enhancing once inferior suspension designs.

Shorter stays don't necessarily mean better. Neither does slacker head tube angles. That's all relative to personal preference. The 2013 SF pedals/handles/climbs as well as any FS that I've ridden to date. Just my $.02

I am sure the 2013 HT is gonna be pretty much in the same boat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.