Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

Many moons ago, back in the day of double down 2 on vhs and building jumps in the local woods I loved my little bike. Unfortunately...some flacid arsepanda froze my D lock and buggered off with her...boom...my heart was squashed like an accident at a face sitting convention.

Fast forward to now. I mildly resemble a capital D and the only real sports I've partook in past 10 years are the national crisp in face championships and the 200 meter butterfly across the bathroom floor after a night out.

Im 30 next week and after a bike. I live in Jersey (channel islands) and am after a trail bike for some coastal path fun, few wooded courses and general south pointing shenanigans. No need for a sled...the Moab this ain't.

Looking at an XL frame, 29er duel suss around 3.5k mark. Only problem is I'm totally stumped with the width of choice out there. I'm specifically buying from a website that sounds like 'thredz' (unsure if can advertise in forum). Below are four I've been juggling around in the shopping cart for a while;
Kona Hei Hei CR/DL 29er
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
Kona Process 153 AL/DL 29er
Lapierre Zesty AM 5.0 Ultimate

If anyone's got any advice, guidance or general words of wisdom they'd be greatly received.

Cheers forum!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That's a nice selection of bikes. I think the best advice when you have that kind of budget is to try and ride them all, see which one speaks to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate. Unfortunately this islands 9 by 5 miles, so you'd already be pretty limited bike shop wise anyway. The stores are small so for them to carry any width of product would mean guaranteed sales. If I could test would love to, but would mean a flight to UK or boat to France first!

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you are XL size in frame and "ummd" "D" shaped.. you sound as if you are in Clyde territory..

I too am Clyde sized standing 6'3" and 265lbs.. my bike is a 2018 Trance Advanced 2 in XL size.. this bike has well dealt with my not insignificant size /weight ..

when shopping consider the Trance 29er (i've rode this one as well and it is great).

regardless double check that frame, shock , fork ..etc are rated / can handle the psi you will require for you size.. the shock on my trance can handle up to 325psi.. making it suitable for my requirements.

if you are a bigger guy and end up with a shock that can only goto 250~ or so.. then you might be kinda boned as you might not be able to get the sag set up right.

test rides certainly are advantageous 100% with my 27.5 trance a XL is a must the L felt like a kids bike when I tried it... however with the 29er.. it became less clear whether to go L or XL in my case...

but come ask in the clyde forum if you are on a XL frame then probably good info to found there.

cheers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you're on the larger and heavier side, Kona's bikes are built like tanks (and their weight shows it, even the fancier carbon builds still run over 30lb). That said, I would say the weight is definitely worth the extra durability and stiffness. I personally prefer the geometry and look of the Process 153, though it's definitely more of an enduro sled than the Hei Hei.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'm 6'4" and nobody will ever have a selection of XL/XXL framed bikes in stock to test ride. Normal sized people don't understand this problem. Tall geeks are limited to research and discussion with other tall geeks vs being able to ride and decide.

I ended up going with 2018 AL/DL 153 in Jan 2018. Picked it up on-line and set it up myself. Was also looking at SC Bronson, Canyon Spectral, YT Jeffsey but this one popped up for $2300 and I pounced. I had to swap bars for 40mm risers because fork tube came pre-cut so no room for additional spacers under stem (another tall geek problem). I've put about 1800 miles on it. For a big bike it climbs great, handles tight technical terrain well and is built to take a beating from a clyde.

I won't buy Specialized anymore...too many 'special' components and they become difficult to get parts for after 5 years or so. Nice bikes and very popular but if you don't have a dealer close by to help it will become an issue. I prefer a bike that uses standard components so I have options.

I would add YT Jeffsey and Canyon Spectral to your list of things to consider. My buddy just bought a Jeffsey (size L) and loves it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks chap that's really useful info. I'm 6ft 4 too, so don't want anything too squirrerly up in the cockpit and looking at the weight of the kona doesn't put me off at all...15kg or so when your a bigger lad ain't so much of an issue. Cheers again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts