Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming out to check out the options at OSU for grad school. I will be flying into portland and renting a car to drive down to corvallis. While i'm out I'd like to get a ride or two in. This is where I need some advice. Is there anywhere between portland and corvallis that rents decent quality bikes, or will I need to bring mine out. I'd rather find somewhere to rent since I won't have too much time to ride, it's pretty expensive and a pain to drag mine out. Second, where should I ride? I will have a car to get around but it needs to be somewhere between corvallis and portland. Help me out with whatever info you can. Also feel free to point me in the direction of any clubs/shops that would be helpful and possibly have group rides.

Thanks

·
(school of funk that is)
239 Posts
I believe Fat Tire Farm in Portland rents

I think they have everything from XC to big hit rigs. Their number is: (503) 222-3276.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Be forewarned - those that come to Corvallis often never leave... I'm one of them. What size bike do you ride? Some friends and I in Corvallis may have something that fits you. It would save the cost and hassle of renting a bike. Corvallis has some great trails that are only a few minutes pedal from town - mainly in the Mac and Dunn forests, and there are countless trails within an hour or two drive north, south, east, etc. Plus the road biking is pretty nice too, if your into it. However, if you want to rent a bike, Santiam Bicycle (www.santiambicycle.com) in downtown Salem (1/2 hour from Corvallis) has some demo bikes and may have a bike to rent. They are a cool shop, so I'm sure they could work something out for relatively little $$. Plus if you are into stunts they could show you the Falls City area. As for Corvallis, local shops include Peak Sports, Cyclotopia (group rides), Corvallis Cyclery, and Bike 'N Hike. If you would like, zap me an email and we can talk about it more, maybe even plan a ride. I went to OSU and just never left.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There's a new map out that shows the official trails around Corvallis. Worth picking up at any of the local bike shops if you can't hook up with anyone for a ride. 'Course the real fun is on the unauthorized trails....umm, not that I've ever been on one.

Go Beavs!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips-

As it looks now I will be moving out to Corvallis in July as long as when I come to visit I don't hate it. I think this is pretty unlikely so I would really like to try and get a ride in and learn what's going on around there. I will try and give the shops mentioned a call and see what they can do for me.

Sly Dog- Give me an email address to get in touch with you at or just shoot me an email: "jayvaughanatgmaildotcom" I'd love to meet up for a ride and possibly even borrow a bike.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,084 Posts
Count me in as well if you all are planning a group ride. I have a full tank of gas and a new ride. Just itching to try it out at Mcdonald forest. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Come on Out...

Jay, I'll zap you an email. July is a great time around Corvallis - nice an quiet, and dry trails. I think one of the great things about Corvallis is even if you aren't too crazy about the town itself, it makes for a great "basecamp" location. The mountains are only 1 1/2 hours away, the coast is 1 hr, Portland 1 1/2 hr, Eugene 1hr... You can pretty much be anywhere in a hour or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts