Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, would really appreciate your advice on this. I used to race XC many years ago, at a pretty high level, but stopped about 10 years ago. I rode hardtails, and more recently a 10 year old Titus Motolite which is not broken, not covered by warranty.

As I'm used to light bikes, I want to get something light, but also fun. I'm looking for a 26er - I can get a good deal this year
I want full sus - 4 or 5 inches of travel
Preferably under 25lbs
XT or higher or equivalent
Carbon
Trails I ride on are tough - very demanding.

I just don't want to end up with a 30lbs bike that bobs a lot when riding uphill. I've tested quite a few, (Ibis, SantaCruz TRC) and they arell all too heavy. Would love to build something from scratch that does not end up costing a fortune. (over $4k) second hand I am fine with.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I got a ride on a pivot mach 5.7 carbon and it was very very good. Accelerated over roots and rocks like nothing I've ridden. About the same weight or a touch more as my carbon sworks stumpy but way better.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
A sub 25 pound carbon full suspension bike with great components for heavy duty use under 4 grand, good luck with that. You may want to reconsider weight as a major factor. I went from a weight weeny-ish Yeti 575 with a 1450 gram wheelset at 25 pounds to a Pivot 5.7c at about 26.5 pounds with a 1650 gram (stiffer) wheelset and, in that summer, got 6 personal best "times to climb". I think frame stiffness, wheel quality and suspension design are more important, and a dropper post will add a pound, but is worth considering.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
. . . and more recently a 10 year old Titus Motolite which is not broken, not covered by warranty.
With that username I'm not sure what to believe :D

I'm looking for a 26er - I can get a good deal this year
I want full sus - 4 or 5 inches of travel
Preferably under 25lbs
XT or higher or equivalent
Carbon
Trails I ride on are tough - very demanding.
Honestly these are a dying breed. I'd say used yeti ASR5c (or new if you can find one out there). Other than that, most of the really light xc oriented bikes are 29" with 3-4 inch suspension. If you really ride hard these won't suit you anyways and you'd want a beefier trail/light AM bike.

If you're set on 26" I'd agree Mach 5.7 but it'll cost you to get sub 25 lbs. 25lbs was a reasonable midrange target weight 10y ago but we changed some things that made all our bikes heavier, like adding dropper posts, disc brakes, moving the std tire size up to 2.3-2.4ish and making the tires beefier in the sidewall.

When I got back into the sport after a 10y hiatus I was in your boat: resistant to changing wheel size but still thinking lighter is the penultimate goal. But I've come to realize my 31lb DW link Firebird climbs pretty much just as well as my 25lb Yeti and descends much much better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ddprocter, I meant to say "Titus is now broken" I broke the swingarm in two a couple of months ago.... see pics. And Titus refused to warranty it.

IMG_2222.jpg

With that username I'm not sure what to believe :D

Honestly these are a dying breed. I'd say used yeti ASR5c (or new if you can find one out there). Other than that, most of the really light xc oriented bikes are 29" with 3-4 inch suspension. If you really ride hard these won't suit you anyways and you'd want a beefier trail/light AM bike.

If you're set on 26" I'd agree Mach 5.7 but it'll cost you to get sub 25 lbs. 25lbs was a reasonable midrange target weight 10y ago but we changed some things that made all our bikes heavier, like adding dropper posts, disc brakes, moving the std tire size up to 2.3-2.4ish and making the tires beefier in the sidewall.

When I got back into the sport after a 10y hiatus I was in your boat: resistant to changing wheel size but still thinking lighter is the penultimate goal. But I've come to realize my 31lb DW link Firebird climbs pretty much just as well as my 25lb Yeti and descends much much better.

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
Ibis Mojo HD...with XT build and sans dropper, mine is about 27ish. It's heavier than you are looking for, but the extra pounds are worth the extra travel and sassy geometry/cornering/jumpy joy. Could drop some more weight with carbon wheels and a few other upgrades as well.

Yeti ASR-5c is the way to go - if you can find one.

There is a difference in how weight feels based on where it is and what type of riding you do. If the weight is in the wheels, you'll feel it more than if it's down low. A bike can weigh a bit more but still ride and climb like a weight weenie while other, lighter weight bikes can feel sluggish and heavy. The numbers on the scale don't always tell the whole story. Also, the type of trails you ride and what you are looking for matter. I am a little slower on fireroad climbs as opposed to a carbon 29er hardtail, but I make up for it on the downhill - not to mention, the downhill is a lot more fun.

Getting any carbon bike with more than 4in of travel and sturdy geometry for rough trails and actual mountain biking for under that weight is going to cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$ - think 6-7K or more.

You are really looking at either a very pricey AM bike or a XC bike with a bit less travel than you may want.

OR a well maintained used AM bike with components that you can upgrade over time. On the positive side, with the 27.5 craze, this is the time to buy a 26er. I got my Ibis for a steal:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts