Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dain Bramaged
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Slayer is set up with a 5" Z1 QR20 and a Stratos Helix Expert for 5"/5". I weigh 195 and thought I'd enjoy hucking. Not so much anymore, so since I really like the way the Slayer feels I thought I'd keep the bike and try a lighter, more XC build.

So....I am going to go with a Marzocchi 4" fork (either an MX Comp ETA or a Marathon) and need some suggestions on a rear air shock that would optimize the Slayer's rear setup. I should point out that I have ridden the bike with a 4" fork and really like the steeper angle, since the frame was designed around 5". I know that the last couple of years Rocky Mountain has spec'd a Fox for the rear....

My thoughts were to try a Cane Creek (AD-12, Cloud Nine) or something with more reliability than the Fox seems to have, especially with my size.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Suggestions...

I have a CloudNine on my old NRS, very reliable and very easy to maintain yourself. However, quite basic in todays world of dampers. If you want to have a more XC bike, I would go with a shock that provides some "platform" type damping.

I also have a 2004 Fox Talas Propedal that I used only two times. As far as I know Fox air shocks don't have reliability issues, you see them on most bikes. I used it only two times because the propedal platform is too stiff for my taste. If you are more heavy than me (150lbs) then you would most likely be very happy with this feature. It could be a good choice for you if you want to keep the possibility of changing the travel on the fly. Mine is a 7.875x2.0" if you are interested then send me a private message.

I also use a Manitou Swinger 3-way air. The platform is adjustable so I'm a more happy then with the Fox Talas. However I can't adjust the travel with this one.

Finally, as you can see in the tone of my preceeding comments, I am not delighted with any! haha. So I'm just waiting for the comments on the new Fox DHX shock to take my final decision on which coil shock I'm going to get myself...going the other way you want to go!

Cheers

Dijridoo said:
My 2001 Slayer is set up with a 5" Z1 QR20 and a Stratos Helix Expert for 5"/5". I weigh 195 and thought I'd enjoy hucking. Not so much anymore, so since I really like the way the Slayer feels I thought I'd keep the bike and try a lighter, more XC build.

So....I am going to go with a Marzocchi 4" fork (either an MX Comp ETA or a Marathon) and need some suggestions on a rear air shock that would optimize the Slayer's rear setup. I should point out that I have ridden the bike with a 4" fork and really like the steeper angle, since the frame was designed around 5". I know that the last couple of years Rocky Mountain has spec'd a Fox for the rear....

My thoughts were to try a Cane Creek (AD-12, Cloud Nine) or something with more reliability than the Fox seems to have, especially with my size.

Any suggestions?

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I've test ridden a couple slayers, one with a Z1 on the front, the other with a Fox Vanilla. The Vanilla gave you a steeper head angle than with the 130mm Z1, yet you could still retain the 5 inches. You could consider that, unless you really, really want to be a weight weenie with less travel (no offense).

As for the rear, you cant really miss with a Fox Float for weight and dependibility. I'd buy an older float off ebay that's in good shape, and send it to the Push guys for a rebuild. That way you could get a real sick shock for much less than a new stable platform like a Swinger or 5th. Plus the shock will be customed tuned and valved for your body and riding style. An option. I don't know what the turn around is though, these days.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
Dijridoo said:

Any suggestions?
I saw a recent ad and it stated the Slayer has 4.75 in of rear travel. Is the rear shock different than the stock shock? Longer stroke or length?
Thanks!

·
Dain Bramaged
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quattro said:
I saw a recent ad and it stated the Slayer has 4.75 in of rear travel. Is the rear shock different than the stock shock? Longer stroke or length?
Thanks!
I have seen both 4.75" and 5" listed for various model years, and in various places. I have never measured my actual travel, so no idea what I'm actually getting.

·
Dain Bramaged
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Thanks for the input. I have a 120mm MX Comp ETA on the way, and am test riding a buddy's Float RL. Within 10 minutes of trying the air shock I know I like it better, so I'm either gonna buy his and have it revalved by PUSH (2-4 days turnaround!) or buy a new Float R AVA. The bike just seems so much more "fluid" with the air back there, especially climbing in the saddle. I can only imagine what the Propedal feature/PUSH stable platform will do for me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.