Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in SW Nashville this Saturday and will head back to SW GA that day very early afternoon. This is my dilimna - where do I ride on my way back? I can head back down I-65 or down I-24 (then I-75) making my way to and through Atlanta.

I don't want to drive 2 hours off the highway to get to a trail but am looking for a long afternoon XC ride. I have raced and my endurance is good so long climbs etc are not an issue. I'd like to stay away from the easy stuff. My thought was to try something in SE TN since it's farther from me on a regular day.

Can you give me ideas? If so, how do I get there?

Thx,
Linerider

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the plan

Furrner said:
SORBA Chattanooga have a ride scheduled at Tanasi on Saturday, details on their calender here.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/forums/cal_view_month.php

Great trails.
Thanks! I think that's where I'm headed now. Is it an OK trail to do "solo"? I checked out the site and got the maps etc. and I'm sure there will be plenty of people around that day. The Sat. ride is at 11am but I'll probably be there around 2pm.

Can't wait!

L.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Shouldn't be any problems riding solo

The trails are fast and not really that technical. If you have a map you won't get lost. Usually some other bikers or hikers around also.

Enjoy

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my God! It's like I had never....

....ridden a real trail before!
Tanasi absolutely kicks a$$! The place was farther out from Chat. than I thought but worth the drive. Pay the $3.00 to park and will see it is being put to good use. Trails are very well kept, scenery is good, etc.
Now for that first climb! Damn, that's an ascent. After 20 minutes of that (and putting my lungs back in my chest a couple of times) I got to enjoy the rest of the area mainly staying on the race course. Got to hop on the Thunder Express and that is everything people say it is. Fast, twisty, and fun as heck.
We have good trails here around SW GA but that was just a different experience all together.

Anyone not been there yet should make a point of visiting the place. You could spend days riding around in there.

Thanks for the advise guys. It made for a great weekend.

I think I'm heading to the Dauset Trails in Jackson, GA this weekend...if the trail is not closed.

Ride hard.
Linerider

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Glad you liked it. Big thanks to "The Jeffrey" for cleaning up the muddy spots before the race. I rode the race course Saturday as well and it was in great shape but a little on the chilly side. But nothing like how cold it was on Sunday! Be sure to get ahold of the SORBA Chattanooga Folks when you come back as we are always up for giving tours around our trails!

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
June 4th, 2005

I'm going to post this on the Sorba-Chattanooga forum too. About six guys from Ashevile coming to ride Tanasi and Chilhowee epics, for a truly epic day! I've done the Tanasi trails and was impressed by their condition and fun factor, so I'm hoping Chilhowee is as fun. We're camping on Chilhowee, tentatively, and will do tanasi in the morning and then Chilhowee in the afternoon as to finish at the campsite. If anyone would like to join feel free. We're a mixed bag of riders, mostly intermediate with flashes of stupidity. These are great trails and I'm really looking forward to riding them again.

CMW

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I actually think Chilhowee has more fun trails but Tanasi does have Thuder Rock and nicer singletrack. If you ride most of the trails at both places you will have over 50 miles of riding in.

Don't forget Brush Creek either (Just up about 2 miles from Tanasi) it is a fast fun l;ittle 7 mile trail.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
linerider said:
....ridden a real trail before!
Tanasi absolutely kicks a$$! The place was farther out from Chat. than I thought but worth the drive. Pay the $3.00 to park and will see it is being put to good use. Trails are very well kept, scenery is good, etc.
Now for that first climb! Damn, that's an ascent. After 20 minutes of that (and putting my lungs back in my chest a couple of times) I got to enjoy the rest of the area mainly staying on the race course. Got to hop on the Thunder Express and that is everything people say it is. Fast, twisty, and fun as heck.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhh. That is some sweet singletrack!
I need to ride Chilhowee. Brush Creek is a good ride too, but more as a followup to Tanasi if it's the one I am thinking. Nice swoopy switchbacks? And a slippery a$$ bridge?

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be back

Asahi said:
Glad you liked it. Big thanks to "The Jeffrey" for cleaning up the muddy spots before the race. I rode the race course Saturday as well and it was in great shape but a little on the chilly side. But nothing like how cold it was on Sunday! Be sure to get ahold of the SORBA Chattanooga Folks when you come back as we are always up for giving tours around our trails!
I am already recruiting friends around here for a trip up there later this year. If June 4th works I might try to meet with CMWELDON's group but I won't bother him until I know for sure. I will also remember this time to visit the SORBA site and check for "volunteers".

Thanks guys and enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.