Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on a roadtrip from the Bay Area, CA to Yellowstone. I figure a cpi days of driving there and back, 4 days are shot, well not totally. That leaves me 5 days in the area (camping by the way). I want to see Yellowstone obviouslybut else is worth seeing in southern montana or wyoming?

Bringing my bike (in case there are "must do" trails) and my nice camrea. I'm into microbews so if anyone knows any good local ones lets hear em! Also, cool places to camp? (Getting a guidebook, but local knowledge is always better)

Oh, im thinking last week of September, first week of October. Good time to come? Hopefully

THanks for any help or suggestions

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but the best, highest, trails are often snowy by then. You might get lucky with the weather though. There is plenty of lower elev. trails still rideable by then, but you may have to travel as far as Bozeman to find them. The bike shops here have good guidebooks and sometimes good advice.

·
all about the ride down
378 Posts
+1 on the snowy trails up high, wet down low. You could get lucky. That is also deep into hunting season! Learn about grizzlies. Get bear spray.
Snake River Brew Pub in Jackson is a must! Wildlife Brew Pub in Victor ID. is also a must GREAT PIZZA!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
split.therapy said:
+1 on the snowy trails up high, wet down low. You could get lucky. That is also deep into hunting season! Learn about grizzlies. Get bear spray.
Snake River Brew Pub in Jackson is a must! Wildlife Brew Pub in Victor ID. is also a must GREAT PIZZA!
Sounds a bad time to be out. Would 2 weeks earlier make any difference? Didnt even figure snow into the factor, I guess I should have. Is it light driveable snow generally at that time? or Road closing style? Hard to say I guess.

Hunting Season too? geeez. I really dont want to wait till spring! lol

EDIT: Re-read your posts again, doesnt sound THAT bad I just couldnt hit the higher elevation trails? No big deal for if there are cool spots at lower altitudes as well. I take it no riding at all IN Yellowstone? Also, this is not JUST a biking trip, its a photography trip, and just a really great excuse to get the hell out of California for a while. So it doesn't all have to revolve around biking

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Snow comes in storms. I've been snowed out on sept 14 around sun valley. Then I went back 2 weeks later and hiked an 11800 peak and it was dry. I have even done 11+ peaks in late october when it was totally dry. It just depends on what storms come in and if it stays cool afterward.

You should plan on winter camping. You'll likely see temps in the teens or lower at night.

Yellowstone is beautiful in mid september. Last time I was there was around sept 15. I stayed in a hotel in Little Yellowstone. The tough thing is a lot of places are closing down the later you get into september. The nice thing is there are not alot of people. You can drive around the park and not get stuck behind too many slow moving RV's.

I have ridden in Oregon in september and it is really nice. I did North Umpqua river trail even later in October and it was great.

Potential: go sept 14. ride a long day on north umpqa (see imba epics) next day go to sun valley. depending on weather, ride the low stuff. if it is dry go to stanley instead and hit the higher stuff. Then go into yellowstone. Plan at least 3 days there. Stay first night in little yellowstone in a hotel. get a good shower and sleep on a bed. Then see lower park and stay somewhere near yellowstone canyon. Work that as long as you like and eventually stay at mamoth in the north end of the park. From there, pick your route back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts