Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After successfully building my first wheel, I want to build a front wheel for my gf for Christmas. She is about 110 lbs. and I want to go is light as possible (within my budget of $100). She has Hayes 9 disc brakes. For the hub I am leaning towards the Hope XC and for the rim I am looking at the SUN OD lite. I am not sure about the rim though. From what I read it’s relatively hard to change the tires? Any other suggestions (rim and hub)?

I also would need some help to calculate the spoke length. The hub is not in my spreadsheet I used before.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
demtbiker said:
Congrats on getting the first wheel done. I don't have any input on the rim or hub, other than to say that they are both likely good choices. As for the spokes:

www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

There is a description on how to take measurements yourself and a link to his calculator that I have used several times with success.

Jamie
Thanks for the link. Never looked at the site only downloaded the calculator.

That being said, since it's for Christmas it would be great if somebody actually had all the measurements so I could order everything at the same time.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
How about a closeout rim from Jenson for whopping $9.99? SUN SUB IV RIM
That plust $45 for the hub leaves you with plenty of money for quality spokes. Actually, if you buy the spokes from Jenson as well, they'll build the wheel for you if you like. I understand you probably want to do it yourself as it is quite exciting when you first get into it, but if you're lazy, you've got a second option ;)

_MK

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shiggy said:
The DT Swiss spoke calculator (on their site) has the Hope XC hub and many rims including Sun in its data base. Works great.
I never bothered to look at their site because I assumed it was just for their hubs and rims. Guess I was wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.