Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the process of getting my Monocog Flight sorted for touring and I'm looking at the possibility of adding front racks. The rear rack is good and stable - but I'd like to have the ability to balance out the load some.

The current fork has 47mm of offset and the A2C is 475mm. I'd like to find a fork that is close - though if the handling was "slowed" a bit that's fine as this will be for riding dirt roads and some pavement... I also wouldn't want to go with too much less offset as there's just a bit of overlap with regard to the fender now...

The reason I'm looking at different forks is because I'd like something with canti posts so I can attach the rack (I'm running disc brakes...) - rack mounts would be fine - but I'm guessing those are not so easy to find on 29er forks with the dimensions I'm looking for. I'm likely going to use the Old Man Mountain Cold Spring front rack - but again I'm open to suggestions...

I'd like something stout that can rattle along on dirt roads or cobbles and not be dangerously flexy...

Suggestions?

Thanks,
S

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
The Origin 8 Black ops carbon comes with canti. posts. I think its offered in 465 AC and the offset or trail, is close to stock.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mo0se said:
The Origin 8 Black ops carbon comes with canti. posts. I think its offered in 465 AC and the offset or trail, is close to stock.
While I do like carbon -my road bike is carbon - but I do not like it for heavy touring on rough terrain... also the canti posts on that are removable so likely woudn't really be the best for handling the additional weight of a rack...

For this particular application I'd like steel...

Thanks for the suggestion.

S

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
My next suggestion is so simple... you will wonder why we didnt think of it. Why not get a regular monocog fork? Brake mounts are there, and the geo stays close to stock. Its steel, and I bet someone has one laying around they would likely give away? Ya know... someone has one they have swapped out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mo0se said:
My next suggestion is so simple... you will wonder why we didnt think of it. Why not get a regular monocog fork? Brake mounts are there, and the geo stays close to stock. Its steel, and I bet someone has one laying around they would likely give away? Ya know... someone has one they have swapped out.
I think the offset is a bit different... their website actually says it's 39mm.

It would be nice if it were similar...

Next...

Steve

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You might want to check out a Kona P2. Link

Their dropdown box allows you to select 29" with canti + disc brake tabs. They also have little eyelets behind the dropouts to attach something (not sure what though). They don't include specs, so you might want to email them to verify the geo.

I bought a P2 back in 2007 - disk brake only, 29", triple butted cro-mo steel. It was 465 AC and 47mm offset back then. The decals look different now so I'm not sure if they made more than cosmetic changes to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.