Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a problem with recovery.

On Saturday, I pre-rode half the Sea Otter course and felt great. I didn't hammer or anything. That night, I cramped like a mofo. It wasn't that hot, I hydrated well with water and Gu2O, I pounded a pack of Hammergel partway through the ride. Afterwards, I had some chicken for lunch, and a fat plate of pasta with dinner. Apart from the cramping, I slept well.

Sunday, the day of the race, I rode pretty well but my legs started cramping about halfway through the race, but I managed to nurse them through the rest. By the climb out, it was so bad that I couldn't pedal out of the saddle or get past middle ring.

During previous pre-rides, I was able to hammer with no ill effects, including no cramping. In fact, in one pre-ride I sheared off my granny gear and middle ringed nearly the whole thing, including Hurl Hill and two of the three b¡tches.

Does anybody have a suggestion to cut my recovery time and/or reduce cramping?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Two things that I've read on this board that have really helped me have been taking L-glutamine capsules and/or drinking an Endurox R4 shake after rides or workouts.

Also, I think the best thing you can do to ensure proper recovery is to get plenty of sleep. If I ride or workout, then get less than 8 hours of sleep that night, I feel like crap the next morning. I've learned that I need to get 8-10 hours of sleep for proper recovery.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Glutamine

trailrash said:
Two things that I've read on this board that have really helped me have been taking L-glutamine capsules and/or drinking an Endurox R4 shake after rides or workouts.

Also, I think the best thing you can do to ensure proper recovery is to get plenty of sleep. If I ride or workout, then get less than 8 hours of sleep that night, I feel like crap the next morning. I've learned that I need to get 8-10 hours of sleep for proper recovery.
Glutamine is your best bet as far as supplements go. As a competitive bodybuilder, I have found this supplement to help greatly with recovery. Also, to help maintain muscle mass during an intense ride, try taking in some branched chain amino acids (BCAA) before and after the ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
xdefx said:
Glutamine is your best bet as far as supplements go. As a competitive bodybuilder, I have found this supplement to help greatly with recovery. Also, to help maintain muscle mass during an intense ride, try taking in some branched chain amino acids (BCAA) before and after the ride.
I have also found that food shortly after a ride (or training) helps, some fast digesting carbs and some protein. You need to replenish nutrients into the muscle. Carbs will assist the protein getting into the muscle. Some protein shake include some carbs, that's not a bad idea, look for the carb to be maltodextrin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.