Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
3,395 Posts
Iron Horse

fchan said:
Hi I'm looking for a DS MTB with good fork for trail and dowbhill as well. I really like the santa cruz VP range but can't afford it :(

What's your opinon on these bikes:

- Norco Atomik
- Norco A-line
Why don't you look into the Iron Horse line up? You can get a 2006 DW equipped bike at bargain prices and you get a state of the art suspension system. Check out the Iron Horse forum.

· Registered
205 Posts
Iron Horse and Giant offer some great suspension designs for very reasonble prices. Check out some of their models. The DW-link and Maestro designs are as good or better than the VPP designs.

· BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,773 Posts
The A Line looks to be more of a DH rig compared to the Atomik looking at the Geometry with a slacker head tube angle and lower bottom bracket. Also, with the longer headtube, i think it's going to be easier for the DJ on the Atomik.

The A Line also comes with a 38T Chainring which is really meant to go down for highspeed stuff while the 36T on the Atomik is more allrounded.

Besides those differences, the rest is really just how it is specced up. The Atomik has better brakes, chain and shifters and etc... :)

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers! I'll look into the ironhorse n giant later this evening. I've never own a FS bike so can't decide which one but I think I'll go with the FR category as i think its allrounder bike. I would like to do bit of DH, bush ride but don't think will ever do any DJ. So any other good suggestion? What do u guys think of santa cruz VP n V10? It's pretty expensive bike.

· BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,773 Posts
fchan said:
Cheers! I'll look into the ironhorse n giant later this evening. I've never own a FS bike so can't decide which one but I think I'll go with the FR category as i think its allrounder bike. I would like to do bit of DH, bush ride but don't think will ever do any DJ. So any other good suggestion? What do u guys think of santa cruz VP n V10? It's pretty expensive bike.
FR bikes arent exactly all rounder... You're gonna have a tough time climbing. As for the Santa Cruz bikes, those are really nice bike, but the V10 might be a little tooo much bike for an all rounder bike. The VPFree can already be considered a little too much if you want to do AM riding...

I would suggest maybe something like an Iron Horse 6point or Santa Cruz Bullit built to somewhere between 30 to 35...
And might i also suggest an Ibex?
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-PRO-Details.html

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a couple of bike shop that sell iron horse 6 point....over 5k....too expensive for me :(

Couldn;t find any Ibex bike in Sydney Australia :(

Which other all rounder/all mtb can you guys recommend?

· TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
91 Posts
If you are in Aus - Giant are the best bang for the buck in Australia.
Many other bikes get a "boutique bike" extra mark up by the Aus importers. Giant don't seem to suffer this as much.

I'd recommend the Reign - See if you can find yourself a deal on the 06 Reign 1 or 2.

· Registered
6,864 Posts
fchan said:
Found a couple of bike shop that sell iron horse 6 point....over 5k....too expensive for me :(

Couldn;t find any Ibex bike in Sydney Australia :(

Which other all rounder/all mtb can you guys recommend?
Yeah, check out the Giant Reign X1 and X0.
Reign 0 and 1 are lighter but not really DH/FR-oriented like the X.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rural said:
If you are in Aus - Giant are the best bang for the buck in Australia.
Many other bikes get a "boutique bike" extra mark up by the Aus importers. Giant don't seem to suffer this as much.

I'd recommend the Reign - See if you can find yourself a deal on the 06 Reign 1 or 2.
Yeah you're not wrong there about "boutique bike". The Reign 1 AUD$2700 and the Reign X1 AUD$3050

· Registered
6,864 Posts
fchan said:
What do u think bout the iron horse 6point4? Cost AUD$3599
Unfortunately IH is almost non-marketed in Canada, so I can't get my hands on one, which sealed the deal on me getting a Riegn X1.

If you can, test ride the Reign X1 and the IH 6point, then choose one, based on parts spec and how the bike suits you.

Based on the specs, the main differences I see:
6Point4 comes with an AM4 fork, the X1 a Van 36 R, both 160mm but (much) better damping in the 36 (just no Compr. adjust), so that's one for the X1 methinks.

They both have DHX 3 shocks, air on the IH, coil on the X1, so that's personal preference.

Like I said, best to ride 'em, or at least see both in person if you can.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
fsrxc said:
Unfortunately IH is almost non-marketed in Canada, so I can't get my hands on one, which sealed the deal on me getting a Riegn X1.

If you can, test ride the Reign X1 and the IH 6point, then choose one, based on parts spec and how the bike suits you.

Based on the specs, the main differences I see:
6Point4 comes with an AM4 fork, the X1 a Van 36 R, both 160mm but (much) better damping in the 36 (just no Compr. adjust), so that's one for the X1 methinks.

They both have DHX 3 shocks, air on the IH, coil on the X1, so that's personal preference.

Like I said, best to ride 'em, or at least see both in person if you can.
Great, definately will test it out when i saved enough money. Sometime i do think of getting an entry level AM such as the IH SACHEM 6 (just under AUD$2k) and start upgrading from there bit by bit. Any comments, suggestion and/or opinon?

· Five is right out
3,166 Posts
I was bike shopping two months ago in Sydney. I second the recommendation to look into the Giant range- they run on price parity with the US, which is incredibly for Oz where imports tend to be grossly inflated. IMO, the main thing you get with the Santa Cruz range over Giant is the ability to tell everyone that you've got lots of excess cash.

Trance for trail use, Reign for heavier stuff. Not sure that Sydney would really justify anything heavier than the Reign (admittedly, I haven't ridden much in the Blueys). If you look into the Giants, be aware that their model numbers changed between 2006 and 2007. e.g. a 2006 Trance 1 is now the 2007 Trance 0.

The Giants run pretty short top tubes though- that's something to watch for. I didn't get a Trance as they were too short on top for me.

Wooly's Wheels on Oxford St has a good selection of Giants, though one of their sales guys (the young one with the slighly trendy hair) is the biggest wanker I've ever met in a bike shop. If you go in, talk to the owner (the older guy) instead. There's also a woman who works there who seems okay.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
womble said:
I was bike shopping two months ago in Sydney. I second the recommendation to look into the Giant range- they run on price parity with the US, which is incredibly for Oz where imports tend to be grossly inflated. IMO, the main thing you get with the Santa Cruz range over Giant is the ability to tell everyone that you've got lots of excess cash.

Trance for trail use, Reign for heavier stuff. Not sure that Sydney would really justify anything heavier than the Reign (admittedly, I haven't ridden much in the Blueys). If you look into the Giants, be aware that their model numbers changed between 2006 and 2007. e.g. a 2006 Trance 1 is now the 2007 Trance 0.

The Giants run pretty short top tubes though- that's something to watch for. I didn't get a Trance as they were too short on top for me.

Wooly's Wheels on Oxford St has a good selection of Giants, though one of their sales guys (the young one with the slighly trendy hair) is the biggest wanker I've ever met in a bike shop. If you go in, talk to the owner (the older guy) instead. There's also a woman who works there who seems okay.
Great help and your info much appreciated. I will compare the Giant and IH and hope to find more comparison before I make up my mind to purhase.....u know anything more then a grand is a lot :p

· Registered
10 Posts
Definetely check out Rocky Mountain Slayer (or ETSX) line!
They are handbuilt with awesome front chainring clearance. I am always hopping over logs and rocks that my friends will hit with their front chainring (ETSX-50, 2003).
Look for a bike that has a rear arm design that does not interfere with the chain as well.

Intense 6.6 is a sweet lightweight AM MTB which is 29 lbs I believe. frame is 7.25 lbs.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pbrosz said:
Definetely check out Rocky Mountain Slayer (or ETSX) line!
They are handbuilt with awesome front chainring clearance. I am always hopping over logs and rocks that my friends will hit with their front chainring (ETSX-50, 2003).
Look for a bike that has a rear arm design that does not interfere with the chain as well.

Intense 6.6 is a sweet lightweight AM MTB which is 29 lbs I believe. frame is 7.25 lbs.
Thanks for your suggestion. I did have a look on their website and the bike really looks good. The slayer 30 cost AUD$3.5k and ETSX AUD$4k. I just hope to find a bike that I don't need to spend lenghty time to save up...hope you guys understand. Any good entry level all MTB that I can afford (approx AUD$2k) and I can slowly upgrade while riding it? Cheers man!

· Registered
10 Posts
Hey dude,

That's cool that you are from Australia. We were all sad about Steve Irwin... He was a great man and Croc. hunter was really great to watch! I'm from Ontario, Canada and I think the Rocky Mountain's are much cheaper here. I only paid 3100.00 CND = ~3400.00 AUD for the ETSX-50 in late 03' The 30 model is probably only ~2000.00.

I've heard really good things about Giant for a good price! Check out specialized too...

If you are in Toronto anytime soon(i mean when we have spring or summer), send me a message and we'll tear up some trails mate (followed by some CND springwater made pints of course...)! :thumbsup:

Pete.

· Five is right out
3,166 Posts
fchan said:
Thanks for your suggestion. I did have a look on their website and the bike really looks good. The slayer 30 cost AUD$3.5k and ETSX AUD$4k. I just hope to find a bike that I don't need to spend lenghty time to save up...hope you guys understand. Any good entry level all MTB that I can afford (approx AUD$2k) and I can slowly upgrade while riding it? Cheers man!
The 2006 Trance 3/Reign 3 or 07 Trance 2/Reign 2 should be much closer to your budget. Just watch the sizing issue.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.