Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a fully rigid steel 29er and need a big front tire -- up to a 2.4 -- that can provide a little bit of suspension.

I'll probably get Stan's Flows and go tubeless. I'm not terribly concerned about weight, but it needs to handle muddy Spring conditions and sticky sloppy clay soil.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'd 2nd that! The Purgatory is a great all around tire with lots of volume that can handle some mud and it doesn't roll like a tank tread on hardpack or concrete.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I have a Purgatory 2.4 and this thing is an awesome trail tire: high volume, grippy, and rolls faster than you think it would looking at the tread. I haven't used mine in much clay mud though

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
I'm building a fully rigid steel 29er and need a big front tire -- up to a 2.4 -- that can provide a little bit of suspension.

I'll probably get Stan's Flows and go tubeless. I'm not terribly concerned about weight, but it needs to handle muddy Spring conditions and sticky sloppy clay soil.

Any ideas?
Same set up. Stans flows tubeless 29in

I just set up a maxxis ardent 2.4 today and it looks great. It sealed with a floor pump and no soap and water. Wish i could say the same about my panaracer rampage out back. It took forever to seal with tons of soapy water

sheepo

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
I've been rolling the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 on my rigid and that thing has lots of volume. I'm pretty happy with it. Low profile tread so its pretty fast rolling, but I've found it has some good side bite if I get silly and try to push the G's into a corner. Set up pretty easy as a tubeless too.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Dag Nabbit said:
I've been rolling the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 on my rigid and that thing has lots of volume. I'm pretty happy with it. Low profile tread so its pretty fast rolling, but I've found it has some good side bite if I get silly and try to push the G's into a corner. Set up pretty easy as a tubeless too.
+1 on that

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,865 Posts
Second FR3. I'm heavy, so I like the less flexy sidewalls. On bigger hits, it still absorbs shock nicely at low pressures without rim strikes. It is not the greatest in clay mud, but then again what is? It's tough, so I don't worry too much about flats. If I was lighter, I would try the Purgatory, but I had a Spec Control tire fail before, although it was a FastTrak.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
IMO, in order of traction/burliness, it's WTB Stout (hard to find) then Purgatory then Ardent. Flip that order for rolling resistance, although that matters a lot more out back.

The RR doesn't even live in the same world as those three tires in terms of traction, and blows them all away in rolling resistance (though my experience is with the RR 2.25, not 2.4).

Guitar Ted has a very good writeup on some bigger 29er tires on his site, and I think it included the Purgatory and Ardent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.