Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a hardtail and looking for a good air or air/oil front shocks. Do a lot of trail riding, no big jumps. Prefer fox or rock shock but open to suggestions. I had a mag 21 back in the day, loved it just wish it had more travel. Thanks rich

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to keep it under $400.00 but am willing to go up to $500.00 I want the best air or air/oil shock for the money. Looking for help on the travel. I do a lot if single track and cross country. I do not need the longest travel shock. Does it matter what bike it is on?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
rich1374670x said:
K2 zed 4.0
So the stock fork was 100mm on those, so you probably want to stick with that. For under $400 there are both Manitou R7 and Drake forks that can be found for a bargain. The R7 is a lighter XC style fork while the Drake is more of a Trail fork that will be a stouter design but also heavier.

If you can find a deal on a Fox F-series or Rock Shox Reba, those would be excellent choices as well.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The Drake is a coil/air fork, not air. Manitou replaced it the the Minute Expert for 2011, and you can find them cheaper than the drake at jenson. It's very nice for the money. Some of the other minute models are air forks - more expensive, should be very good.

The R7 is lighter fork with 30mm sanctions - not as stiff. Great xc fork, not a great choice for heavy all mtn.

Have no experience with the fox or reba. Given their cost and popularity, I would imagine they are very good.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
rich1374670x said:
Which f series and which reba? How would you rate those 4? If cost was no factor and if it was a factor?
Drake is a coil/air hybrid, using a coil spring with air as the pre-load (Rock Shox and Marzocchi have also used this system). The Damper on both the Drake and R7 is very good, one of the best.

The Fox F-series are solid XC forks with stout 32mm upper legs. The RL and RLC have rebound and lockout (the C is low speed compression) adjustments. The Terralogic includes a inertia valve that locks the fork automatically until you hit a bump. They run $700-$900 new but you may find some used.

The Rock Shox Reba comes in several levels too. The biggest advantage to the Reba is that you can adjust the negative spring via air (Fox and Manitou use a fixed coil negative spring). Again should be able to find used for under $400 easily.

Having owned forks from all three, I like the Manitou damper the most but the Rock Shox Motion Control damper is a close second. And the adjustable negative spring on the Reba is very nice so the Reba would be (and is) my favorite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.