Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only clipless I've ever used is Frogs on my road bike. They're meant for MTB but I really don't think I want to be stuck on a hill with a false clip-in or have it hit me in the back of the leg. They've always been kinda tricky but I got them due to the incredible float (I have bad knees).

What else has good float, if not as much as Frogs? Does any SPD have good float?

Are the eggbeaters pretty much taking over now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
MTDirtGirl said:
The only clipless I've ever used is Frogs on my road bike. They're meant for MTB but I really don't think I want to be stuck on a hill with a false clip-in or have it hit me in the back of the leg. They've always been kinda tricky but I got them due to the incredible float (I have bad knees).

What else has good float, if not as much as Frogs? Does any SPD have good float?

Are the eggbeaters pretty much taking over now?
Forget about SPD if you're looking for float. The closest thing to frogs on float would be Eggbeaters or Time ATACs. Both of them have a decent about of float and they both have feed back on the retentions system so you'll know that you're clipped in. I have both pedals, ATACs on my mtn bike and eggs on my road. The pretty much ride about the same. You can't go wrong with either system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
I gotta agree with the Times....

MTDirtGirl said:
The only clipless I've ever used is Frogs on my road bike. They're meant for MTB but I really don't think I want to be stuck on a hill with a false clip-in or have it hit me in the back of the leg. They've always been kinda tricky but I got them due to the incredible float (I have bad knees).

What else has good float, if not as much as Frogs? Does any SPD have good float?

Are the eggbeaters pretty much taking over now?
I personally don't care for the eggbeaters, not enough platform for me, and I don't need anything as large as their platform combo pedal. Time Alium or ATAC's both would fill the bill in my estimation. The Eggs would work too if you like them.

Good Dirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Eggbeaters or Richies

I switched form Richies for MTB to Eggbeaters. I like the float more with Richies( Almost Identical to Shimono's) I guess how worn mine are they get good float.
Eggbeater are the in thing so are ATAC's. Both get great reveiews from everyone so now it is up to preference and cost. Note eggbeaters hurt like ***** if you hit one on your shin when you are Hike-a-bikeing or falling down. I have a good mark on my Roach shin guards from my eggbeaters. But again when I fall I make leaves fall off trees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
MTDirtGirl said:
The only clipless I've ever used is Frogs on my road bike. They're meant for MTB but I really don't think I want to be stuck on a hill with a false clip-in or have it hit me in the back of the leg. They've always been kinda tricky but I got them due to the incredible float (I have bad knees).

What else has good float, if not as much as Frogs? Does any SPD have good float?

Are the eggbeaters pretty much taking over now?
Nothing wrong with the Frogs. I ride with Frogs on 2 of my bikes. They work well. I use them for XC and light FR. They're light and work extremely well. They're easier to get out of than most....especially if you're already used to using them.

If you're having problems with them, it's most likely due to setup.

What do you mean by "tricky"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue Shorts said:
Nothing wrong with the Frogs. I ride with Frogs on 2 of my bikes. They work well. I use them for XC and light FR. They're light and work extremely well. They're easier to get out of than most....especially if you're already used to using them.

If you're having problems with them, it's most likely due to setup.

What do you mean by "tricky"?
Mine are from 2001 and I hear they've been improved, but sometimes I think I'm "in" and can pedal awhile then my foot comes right out. Sometimes I can click right in and hear a click, sometimes I don't hear anything, sometimes I fumble and fumble until I'm in. I just can't imagine doing that on single track. Plus they're pricey and would want to keep ones on my road and mtb so that means a new set.

But they're not as much as the eggbeaters Candy setup. Can you really stand on that thing? I heard the platform didn't help all that much. Can you stand on the plain eggbeaters? I'd hate to have THAT thing hit me in the back of my leg! But I am leaning that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
MTDirtGirl said:
But they're not as much as the eggbeaters Candy setup. Can you really stand on that thing? I heard the platform didn't help all that much. Can you stand on the plain eggbeaters? I'd hate to have THAT thing hit me in the back of my leg! But I am leaning that way.
I'm a new rider and the first set of pedals I've ever bought are the eggbeater mallets.
They are the perfect pedal for me. -Mostly non-techincal XC
Thanks to the extra long tooth plate you can install,The platforms are grippy when you ride with standard shoes, and are a cinch to get in and out of with SPD's. It's pretty nice when things get a bit hairy that you can unclip and use the platforms when neccesary.

keep in mind that the eggbeater mechanism does stick up 1/4-1/2 inch above the platform and so certainly isn't a stable pedal for extreme riding without SPD's, but commuting is great.
Also I bought diadoro shoes and had to grind down the soles quite a bit with a dremel to get clearence when using the cleats. I believe there are other shoes that work out of the box without any alterations, but It was really no big deal to make the adjustment myself.

Lastly you should know there are only two 'tension' settings on the clips. there is a 15 degree outward release or a 20 degree outward release. This is accomplished by switching which cleat is on which foot. I have never used cleats before and have been learning with the 15 degree release and it is quickly becoming second nature. Becasue of a roughly 6 degree float, (which feels great), as you progress I can see where switching to the 20 degree release will become more comfortable to avoid any accidental release.
I don't think I ride ahrd enough for that to happen to me at this time though.

oh and If you are looking to keep the wieght down, the mallet-c should probably be a last resort.
hope all of this helps.
 

·
L1MEY
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
My first clipless pedals were my Candys, and I really like them. They're super easy to clip in and out of, and very intutive. The little platform is just big enough to balance on when you're unclipped, but they're uncomfortable to ride in street shoes for more than a couple of miles. The engagement between the cleats and pedals is very positive... you always feel the click when you're in.

I also had to shave down my shoes to get them to engage/disengage smoothly, but since then the whole experience has been great. They also unclip fairly easily when I crash so I don't end up tangled in my bike ;)

- Jen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Another vote for Ritcheys here. Can't beat em for the price, mine were 25 bucks. they shed mud well, and they don't bother my knees. I've got V3s.

Good customer service, too. When I broke one on my first ride with them, they sent me replacement parts quick, no questions asked. Haven't had a problem since, had em for a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
MTDirtGirl said:
Mine are from 2001 and I hear they've been improved, but sometimes I think I'm "in" and can pedal awhile then my foot comes right out. Sometimes I can click right in and hear a click, sometimes I don't hear anything, sometimes I fumble and fumble until I'm in. I just can't imagine doing that on single track. Plus they're pricey and would want to keep ones on my road and mtb so that means a new set.

But they're not as much as the eggbeaters Candy setup. Can you really stand on that thing? I heard the platform didn't help all that much. Can you stand on the plain eggbeaters? I'd hate to have THAT thing hit me in the back of my leg! But I am leaning that way.
I have one set from 2001 and one set from 2003. I've used the older cleats and the current cleats. I have no issues with either. The Frogs have issues in the mud, but when it's dry you should have no problems. If you don't have the cleats angled correctly, you could twist your foot out without noticing. You can try putting your shoes on the pedals and seeing at what angle they release....you can adjust for that.

If you're not comfortable using the Frogs on your MTB....get something else, obviously. No other pedal had free float tlike the Frogs. The second best pedal for float, although it's not free float...it's under some spring tension.....and great in mud...are the times. Just get a set without a big platform, like the atac.
 

·
I'm Riding It
Joined
·
652 Posts
If you like a platform....

Squash said:
I personally don't care for the eggbeaters, not enough platform for me, and I don't need anything as large as their platform combo pedal. Time Alium or ATAC's both would fill the bill in my estimation. The Eggs would work too if you like them.

Good Dirt
If you like a good platform, but like the 4 sided entry and easiness of entry of the eggbeaters get the crankbrothers candy.
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
Ritchey V3 Comps

I have the Ritchey V3 Comps on two of my bikes and really like them. They were $25 at Supergo, but go for up to $60 for the Comps and $100 for the Pro. The Comps are fine and I have read of bearing probs with the Pro's.
 

·
mad scientist
Joined
·
67 Posts
surface area 101

Squash said:
I personally don't care for the eggbeaters, not enough platform for me...
Just a little food for thought. Having the platform really only accomplishes one thing when riding. If you're in a tough technical section, you can have your foot on the pedal without clipping in. For some people, it gives them a little security of knowing they aren't fully attached to the bike.

For just regular trails, platforms really don't have any implication on how you ride. The nice thing about the eggbeaters is that they are 4 sided, and if you are using a good spin technique (essentially your contact with the pedal though the entire 360 degrees of rotation maitains the same amount of pressure on the way down as you do on the way up).

Just my 2 cents...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top