Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to obvious financial concerns,I am retiring my F-250 to strictly big hauling jobs. So now I will need to carry up to 4 bikes on a teeny little Cabrio. Thinking a trunk mount rack might work, but due to convertible top I have a very short trunk lid. Any one with any experience mounting bikes on a similar car?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yakima lists that their King Joe series fits on the trunk of the Cabrio, whereas Thule doesn't list any trunk mount options. The King Joe only goes up to 3 bikes though, so it would necessarily meet your needs. Saris also lists some options, but still nothing over 3 bikes. I don't think the size of the trunk will be that much trouble if you go that route. IIRC it has enough surface for the upper leg to rest on, which would be my only concern. If you need to carry 4 bikes (not sure where the riders for those 4 bikes are going to fit inside of the Cabrio, unless they're kids. ;) ), then the only other option would be to get a hitch and use a hitch mount rack. That can get costly when you factor in the cost of the hitch and getting it installed.

·
Registered
783 Posts
IMHO the hitch rack is the way to go and doesn't have to be expensive. Hitch will be $150-200 installed, add another $99 for a cheepie carrier and you're set. More set than with some contraption that is a PITA to install/remove.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Still, even with your estimates you're talking $250-$300, which is a considerable amount more than a hatch rack. $99 sounds pretty cheap for a hitch mounted carrier, will that hold 4 bikes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.