Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
wannabe xc'er
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am a rodie that wants to get into xc, I can get an '05 Dakar. I am just wondering if that is a decent bike to start out with? I dont have a lot of money now, So I am looking at under 500 and I found one right at that price, that hasnt been ridden much, Is it worth getting a base dakar and upgrading later when I have money?
Thanks a lot,
Jason

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
I personally would go with a used hardtail. You will get much more bang for your buck. Even better if you want to race.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
KrayZ said:
Hey,
I am a rodie that wants to get into xc, I can get an '05 Dakar. I am just wondering if that is a decent bike to start out with? I dont have a lot of money now, So I am looking at under 500 and I found one right at that price, that hasnt been ridden much, Is it worth getting a base dakar and upgrading later when I have money?
Thanks a lot,
Jason
You also might want to check on the year and whether it was one of the ones that had problems with the rear triangle braking. My girlfriend was looking at an 05 or 06 for her 06 race bike, but was detered primarily by this trend.

For $500, I'd also recommend a hardtail. Hardtails also have the advantage of less maintence cost in the long run., helping to keep things cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.