Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old goat
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
lame pun aside... I respectfully request your opinions.
I'm finally retiring my 1997 C'dale Killer V HT900 to commuter status. I picked up a new 2009 Rush 3 Carbon because it was a great price and less than half my budget for a new bike but it looks to perform at least 2/3 of what I need it to do. The thing is... it's not 100% of what I was after.

So- should I upgrade some bits and quit my internal whining? My first inclination is to go with either a Lefty 120 or look for a 2009 Lefty 130. I'm more of a trail/AM rider than pure XC and had intended to go with a deeper front end than 110. I would like to get back to racing with the other old dogs but my old racer was 24 lbs. so I'm used to pushing some weight and don't need any 'new hawtness'. Not sure how much the stock wheels weigh (DTS 370/430 hub/rim) but would look to change those if I could save .5+ lbs rotational mass and retain durability. The shifters/cassette would have to go immediately and the brakes would probably need upgrading but would be liveable to start. Other changes?

Or do I sell it and keep looking? Honestly it looks like a decent bike but as I said I was prepared to pay as much as 2.5x more than I did.

Many thanks to the collective wisdom and open discussions herein.

·
Old goat
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to be pushy- was hoping for more response so added a plea for help to the title.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I say ride it as is, set up for your weight you might be surprised what 110 will handle.

The Rush Carbon is a great bike (I chose a Carbon 1 over an equal Rize) no regrets. The simple and proven single pivot (Rush) sold me over the new multi pivot Rize. I like the KISS method.

Remember that the Rush (carbon and aluminum) were marketed as both all mountain and marathon.

Enjoy!

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Are you looking to save weight on the wheelset? Those probably only weight 1800g or so, but only have 24 spokes. Maybe question the strength depending on your weight and riding style and certainly keep them true and tensioned. Got an SLX crank which isnt too much heavier than XT. Like you mentioned, the brakes and shifters are entry levelish, but both are certainly liveable. The shifters are decent but I just rode a rental bike with the X-7's for about 3 weeks and they werent too bad. Unless your really trying to shave grams I would leave them till they break and then consider upgrading them, or at least give them a shot and see if its worth it. Same with the juicy's, the five's are a little low but I had a set of Juicy 3's that performed pretty well for me. Well enough to not make me want to spend the money to upgrade. The one thing you can do though to give that bike a less XC/race and more XC/trail feel though is change out the tires for something with higher volume and bigger patch, it will add more rotating mass like you mentioned but will help with what your looking for. I rode the rush with a 120 Fox up front for two years and really liked it, I would still be riding it if I didnt break it. Dont worry though, if you do manage to break that I can tell you Cannondale is good with replacement. My replacement RZ120 just got here today, and they even upgraded my rear shock from a Float RP2 to a Float RP23 with boostvalve. You'll get that bike dialed how you want and really like it.

·
Cannondale freak
36 Posts
I have rush carbon SL 2 2009 with the same wheelset. The wheelset set is 1760g. According to me it is the weakest point on the bike. Ordered a new wheel set for new season. The whole bike weights stock 12 kg without pedals.
Other way it is a great bike. Just need to make some upgrades and here you go ... I use it for marathon and whole day rides, no need for more suspension.
If you know already you need more suspension why dont go to rz140? You´ve got the money. I´m not sure what about frame warranty if you change the suspensions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Or upgrade to a set of Mavic Crossmax ST (i have one for sale) :D

Seriously,,, I have both - Rush and Rize, I like the extra travel of the Rize, it's more plushy down the hill. It climbs pretty well too. The Rush, I have it down to 27lbs with some upgrades (alum frame and lefty). It climbs good but a bit stiff for me when rolling down the hill.

But the DLR lefty is a very reliable fork imo. You may want to ride it more first before you make a decision...

·
Old goat
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys. I'm way more inclined to give this bike a chance after your inputs.

It sounds as if these wheels aren't too heavy for their intended purpose though I may want another light set to "race". I've been riding Spin composites that really have been nukeproof and in spite of their weight I'd run them on this bike too if they could be set up for discs.

Brakes are okay for now then? Alrighty. Reviews said they 'moo' or something so I've been wary. I ride a lot of mud so I suppose the proof will be in the pudding (or muck).
Fork okay too, eh? I appreciate Buzz's perspective on this as I'd thought a 120 would do well on this bike to increase DH handling though I'm not compelled to buy a new 120. Hrmm... still noodling on this part. As Hyper says the DLR has a solid rep (if not maybe too solid). /wink

I'll definitely drop the X7 shifters. I bought my wife a BB Ultra last year that has them and they work okay but are nearly as un-crisp as my 13 y.o. Sachs grip shifters. With all this money you guys are saving me maybe I'll pop for some red X0's. The chain and cassette are goners too. I just can't abide them for rotational mass. Will probably stay SRAM for the 1:1 actuation and the 990 weight isn't too far off XTR (for the $$).

Good words guys. If I can get this bike to 25# I'd be happy enough. Hnnisak- to your point: I was headed toward a 130+ balanced bike but this one was such a deal I thought it might work out okay. Being honest with myself I probably only take bigger hits a few times each year and probably don't need so much travel.

Buzz- thanks for all the wisdom and the input on the tires. I have some alternate sets hangin in the garage so I'll play with those and see what turns up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
c_rex
I have an 09 carbon rush with the lefty dlr that I have been riding for a year now. I have been contemplating putting a 120mm fork on it as well. I just rode the 2010 RZ 120 with the alloy pbr 120mm lefty and I am now definitely leaning towards the putting 120 lefty on mine. I am also making a change on my wheelset going away from the crossmax SL's to a set of Stan's Flow rims with XTR hubs. I wanted a wider rim but I am still waiting on them. I will give you some feedback when it's all complete.

·
Old goat
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx tg26. I'm still mentally battling it out as I see '09 carbon 110 Lefty's going for loads less than a new 120 and I think to myself... it's only 10mm more. And yet I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger for the 110. So if you do pick up the 120mm please do post your thoughts. I haven't seen a 120 in my neck of the woods yet or I'd give it a ride. New wheels would be nice too but if I spring for the 120mm I'm gonna have to wait there.
As it stands I've updated chain, cassette, shifters, and new brakes are on the way. Also swapping out the bars for an old CF riser bar that I'm painting just for the helluvit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts