Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new here because I have been contemplating buying a mtb to ride to work and back. It's about a 1.5km ride and it's through a grassy bumpy trail, nothing too crazy. I used to do a lot of biking when I was younger, however I haven't owned a bike for the past 7 or 8 years... I am looking for a decent used mtb that will be more than enough for my ride to work and will allow me to upgrade in the future. I found this bike:

https://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Trek-W0QQAdIdZ57850533

The derailer is Acera Shimano - 8 speed and the front is 050 Shimano Top Swing SIS. The brakes are V-brake Shimano and have a mark on the brake lever that says CI-Deck Plus. It also has new brake cables, brake pads on the rear wheel, 8 speed cassette and chain.

The front fork looks like it allows for a disc brake to be mounted, but I am unsure about the rear... I was sent a picture and it only shows a glimpse of the potential disc brake side of the tire:

1. Can this bike be upgraded with a rear disc brake? Or is that tapped hole and other two holes for a kick stand? If not, do any companies sell weld on lugs? I have the ability to TIG weld aluminum.
2. If I upgraded the front with a disc brake do I have to replace the wheel as well? What would be a good disc brake upgrade for this bike?
3. What do you think about the bike in the ad as a commuter bike through a field?
4. Good price?

I'm 25, haven't rode a bike or owned one for 7 or 8 years and just want to get some good excercise and have fun riding to work and back. Just so you all know where I'm coming from. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Short commute

You have a short commute and a 4300 will work okay for you. 4300s can be upgraded but if you're looking to upgrade to disc brakes it will cost you as you will need new wheels in addition to the the brakes themselves. Your front fork and rear chain stay are disc brake ready. I own a 4300 disc (2006 model) which I've upgrade with a new front fork (Rockshox Tora 318 solo air), new saddle, new tires and Shimano M520 clipless pedals. I've put about 1800 miles on it so far on some tough single track with no problems. If you're just commuting you should have no problems.

·
I am SUCH a geek.
17 Posts
I just had my first ride today on my '08 Trek 4300 (non-disc model). It's a fantastic bike for the money and yes, you can upgrade it to disc brakes. However, as already mentioned, you will need new wheels in addition to the brakes themselves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
More you'll want to upgrade

I'd replace the following:
The tires - Bontrager tires aren't that great and wear quickly. Put some Panaracer Fire XC pros on there.
The saddle. The stock one hurts and mine bent after riding for 4 months on some rooty single track.
The pedals. If you're riding on single track you'll definitely want clipless pedals.

I eventually replaced the front fork with a Rock Shox Tora 318 solo air since I started riding a lot - all on single track with lots of roots and some small drops. It was nice to have a good fork finally. My next upgrade will be a new wheelset. I'm in Germany for the next three years now and am waiting for my household goods (including my bike) to arrive. Lots of trails here but I haven't tried them yet. Have a feeling they're much more groomed than what I'm used to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey there, In fact i have a 08 trek 4300 v brake version and it is super great. In reality if your just commuting you wouldn't really need disc brakes and in my opinion my v brakes work as strong as my brothers bb7's (very good). this bike is great and i have about 800 miles on it in under a year. I use it for some beginner jumps (outside of its intentional use), and i use it to learn random tricks like wheelies and bunny hops.
I do recommend like the others said above that you should replace the seat (uncomfortable) and pedals if you decide to go clipless they should help drastically. My 4300 is great and really it is an entry level mtn bike that doesnt have the "top of the line" components but i never notice any problems as long as you take care of it. In the end it all depends on the rider. BTW i got mine brand new for about 450. Hope that helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.