Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...want to upgrade from stock specialized tires on an 07 Enduro Sl. Not doing anything with the wheels as of yet but need to get better tires...any opinion appreciated. Also, not real familiar w/tubeless so if anyone can give me the skinny on how those work....that'd be great. thanks

FYI-will be doing mostly mountain/cross country with minimal downhill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Captain controls are an excellent all mountain tire. Good balance of rolling resistance vs. braking and handling. I used the 2.0 on my Stumpy. Stay away from S-works version which are marginally lighter. The sidewalls rip very easy.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC up front
Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DTC in dry conditions, rear
Kenda Nevegal 2.1 Stick-E in wet conditions, rear

There is no better tire combination. See MBAction Magazine for the last five years when they do their annual tire review.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really love the Specialized Resolutions that came on the 2007 Enduro SL. They roll well for their size and seem to hook up on anything when climbing. That said, I could use a bit more confidence in cornering bite, so next spring/summer I will probably run a Resolution in the rear and a Kenda Excavator up front.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The problem is that different tires are better for different conditions. One tire maybe great for loose conditions, but awful for rocky or hardpack. Whereas a tire good for hardpack might be awful in loos ore muddy conditions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
johnd11 said:
...want to upgrade from stock specialized tires on an 07 Enduro Sl. Not doing anything with the wheels as of yet but need to get better tires...any opinion appreciated. Also, not real familiar w/tubeless so if anyone can give me the skinny on how those work....that'd be great. thanks

Try Maxxis Monorail 2.1s. These things are the best I've ridden. I've tried all kinds of combinations of tires/ Maxxis Crossmarks, Kenda Nevegal, Blue Groove, SB8, Specialized Captain 2.0 that came on my Sworks Stumpy (I hated this tire from day 1). I tried these Monorails and they're just above the rest. Work great on roots, rocks, dirt, hardpack. Low rolling resistance, enough knobs to grab in the loose stuff, great cornering bite. Great for climbing and groomed downhills. I'm running the standard versions Tubeless with Stan's and not one problem. If you try them, you'll never take them off your bike.

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
I like the Eskar 2.3 on my bike. The Resolutions also came on my 07 SL and I rode them for a while. Once I switched over though, I instantly felt better in corners, climbing, and going down.

Just my opinion. For all I know, youre riding through muddy swamps and over tree branches.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wow, tough question... Yes, I would recommend you have tyres.

Seriously though (and to be more helpful), I really don't think you'll find an answer here in an internet forum. You have to get out and try some tyres yourself on terrain you want to ride on. Your opinion may be the same as mine, and then again you might think my opinion sucks... see where I'm going with this. Enjoy the search for rubber!

·
Registered
356 Posts
johnd11 said:

I have been recently quiring on here and elsewhere about tyre choice for my Pitch Pro and if your doin all mountain or trail riding, i think its best to go for something quite wide up front like a Maxxis Minion 2.5 and possibly a 2.35 rear,

.........or like Iam goin to do, to save a little cash is, take my stock front Specialized Eskar 2.35 which has worn less, put that at the rear and use a Maxxis Minion 2.5 up front, so it wont be too harsh riding up but plenty of grip on the way down.......

·
Registered
102 Posts
markw1970 said:
Wow, tough question... Yes, I would recommend you have tyres.

Seriously though (and to be more helpful), I really don't think you'll find an answer here in an internet forum. You have to get out and try some tyres yourself on terrain you want to ride on. Your opinion may be the same as mine, and then again you might think my opinion sucks... see where I'm going with this. Enjoy the search for rubber!
I agree on the having tires suggestion. :)

Check with your LBSs and other riders in your area. You'll probably get lots of different ideas, you can then check the reviews of those tires on the review section of the forum.
The trails in your area are probably not the dry hardpack stuff here in Colorado. So my recommendation of Kenda Small Block Eights wouldn't work. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.