Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Cycologist
10,555 Posts
Who built the bike? If your LBS built it, I'd agree with them that it is a build issue. Or did you get it fully built from Jenson, with the dropper installed? The thing is, it probably still shipped partially disassembled so they may have a way out, were there any assembly instructions included with it? That does sound like a short time for a post to seize that bad.

I just bought a dropper post and I noticed it made no mention of grease/paste, just said to install it. I greased it (aluminum frame).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Who built the bike? If your LBS built it, I'd agree with them that it is a build issue. Or did you get it fully built from Jenson, with the dropper installed? The thing is, it probably still shipped partially disassembled so they may have a way out, were there any assembly instructions included with it? That does sound like a short time for a post to seize that bad.

I just bought a dropper post and I noticed it made no mention of grease/paste, just said to install it. I greased it (aluminum frame).
That's interesting both my reverb and transfer said to use friction paste on the install.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I would think that the responsibility would lie between the end user and whoever did the final assembly.

Yes, posts should be fitted with grease/paste and if the post was not I'd say whoever put the post in is partly to blame.

Have you got the frame and stuck post back? I got a stuck carbon post out of an alloy frame a few months ago. You have nothing to loose trying it?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,527 Posts
There are some credible reports of seatposts bonding to carbon seattubes even when carbon paste was used.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I did not get the frame back from Niner (I never asked for it back).
That's too bad. Even if you had to destroy the frame, you could've got the dropper out and reused it or sold it.

It's sad but you always have to check the assembly of new bikes. Especially ones coming from big suppliers. You shouldn't have to though and I think it might be worth chasing them. With enough heat they might cave and give you something.

Years ago my son's Apply iMac developed several faults just outside of warrantee. Apply initially said they were not covering it as the warranty was up. I kept on at them and eventually they paid for the repair in full, and it was a lot of money.

Don't take the first answer.

·
Cycologist
10,555 Posts
So, it is still your frame and dropper unless you cut a deal for them to keep it in exchange for a discount or the "free" dropper Jensen sent you. You may have to pay for it but why not have them ship it back? It's stuck but can you still ride it? I guess if there is an issue with the dropper needing service it would still be a problem though.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When I got my new bike, I went through the whole thing and made sure there was grease in the right spots, bolts were tensioned, seatpost greased, etc. There were definitely things missed.

I think you should follow up with Jenson and tell them what niner said, and demand they pay for the frame.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
At 6 months use I would be getting my money back no matter what. With that said I can't fathom not being able to free a seat post. To me that sounds like a weird frame issue.

·
Cycologist
10,555 Posts
Hmm, so Niner and Jensen are not saying the same thing.

Jensen quoted what Niner said "We have no reason to assume that the post was installed incorrectly" but then ignored where Niner said "meaning that it is the correct diameter and from what we can tell it wasn't over-inserted", even saying "Jenson agrees that the post may have been over inserted into the frame which is not something that would be the result of the build process here" which was never said and is actually contrary to what Niner said.

And Niner said "This really only leaves one explanation, and that is corrosion, the only way that this can occur is if moisture makes its way into the seat tube i.e. sweat, or water. If carbon prep has been installed, this will not be an issue", meaning that if the bike was built correctly, it would not have gotten stuck. But Jensen claims "As for the use of carbon paste, the inspection by Niner was not conclusive".

It sure sounds like Jensen is ducking responsibility when Niner seems to have concluded that the bike was not built properly. I don't know what to tell you, all I can suggest is you write a polite letter to the right person (you'll have to research who that is) at Jensen and point these things out and include a copy of the letter from Niner with these parts high lighted. But they may say you already accepted the seat post as "settlement", you may want to be prepared for that scenario, offering to pay for the post once they pay for the front triangle replacement. Just my thoughts, I've never had to go through this.

If all you have are emails, you might want to ask Niner to print their response on letterhead and snail mail (or Fed Ex) it to you.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
you may want to be prepared for that scenario, offering to pay for the post once they pay for the front triangle replacement.
Good advice, Chazpat, but I would argue that Jenson is responsible for the post and the frame. Their negligence led to the ruin of both items.

Definitely write to Jenson, sometimes those letters get things done, especially if done with a polite tone. If no joy from that, go to the attorney general consumer protection division. You may not get much help but you never know what a call from the A.G.'s office might do for your cause.

·
Cycologist
10,555 Posts
Good advice, Chazpat, but I would argue that Jenson is responsible for the post and the frame. Their negligence led to the ruin of both items.

Definitely write to Jenson, sometimes those letters get things done, especially if done with a polite tone. If no joy from that, go to the attorney general consumer protection division. You may not get much help but you never know what a call from the A.G.'s office might do for your cause.
Good point, droppers aren't cheap.

·
2,677 Posts
I agree that Jenson is totally dodging responsibility on this one. Just like a shop, if they installed the seatpost, it's their responsibility to use carbon paste or at least grease. I'd continue to push them. They owe you a new seatpost and a new front triangle at least.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.