Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm right at 190lbs but am looking for a race wheelset, so light weight and strong enough to hold up. I ran a set of Crossmax SL wheels years back and I was 186lbs with no problems, but didnt race them for long due to selling the bike and quitting until now. I race in Texas so we go from smooth single track to rock and root areas. And I dont want to spend a grand on them either. 5-700 would be a good place to be if possible. My son races too so I am buying 2 wheelsets today. I am getting him a set of Crest ZTR's. But he only weighs 120lbs.

My Epic came with Roval control wheels that come in at 1800 grams. So lighter than these. I heard the Rovals have had some spoke issues.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Arch EX set weighs 1775g ... that's not really any gain over the Rovals unless the Rovals hubs completely suck. You're really gonna have to step up to carbon to get any noticeable gains.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
1800g for a 190lbs rider isn't too bad. Consider a Stans ArchEX wheelset with butted spokes, alloy nipples, and the Stans hubs that are pretty light come in at 1775g for $595

You could look at the Light Bicycle 29er all mountain tubeless which is advertised at a little over 1500g in you're price range. The Novatec hubs are actually pretty good, as good as the Stans hubs IME and the Pillar spokes are also very good quality. The rims have had mixed reviews, some love them and some have had issues. But you'd drop some pretty good weight and the rims are still 30mm wide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked to a shop today that can build a set for me. Arch rims and american classic hubs and get to about 1550 grams. I tried to find reviews on the hubs but nothing newer than 2006. Any thoughts on these hubs? I ran AC road wheels about 10 years ago that worked well.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Talked to a shop today that can build a set for me. Arch rims and american classic hubs and get to about 1550 grams. I tried to find reviews on the hubs but nothing newer than 2006. Any thoughts on these hubs? I ran AC road wheels about 10 years ago that worked well.
Light and fast rolling (due to little freehub body pawl drag) but slow engagement. Though they are 24 poe, a cam plate engages the pawls instead of the springs which keeps the drag and sound to a minimum but takes longer to engage than spring driven pawls. I've rode on WTB Laser Lite (Same freehub design as the AC's) and they were fine on flowy trails, fire roads, double track, etc. In technical stop and go stuff more engagement is nice though I've never owned anything over 32 poe.

If engagement speed is not an issue, they work fine for such a light hub. But if you prefer a faster engagement hub, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info on the hub. Last time I raced was 7 Yeats back and I ran crossmax sl wheels. I don't know what they had for paw. Never really looked into it. Just ran what stuff came with.

On the weight. The guy added all the weights and came up with his number. The AC hubs save about 250 grams over the 3.03 stand hub. My son's set with Crest rim will be high 1400 g.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found my notes. The arch set will weigh 1590 and crest will be 1450.

I doubt i will notice the difference in engagement. Im more concerned with bearings and durability. The old reviews bashed the AC hubs bad.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
They run full stainless steel bearings on their hubs these days, bearings will not likely be an issue. They also had a recall on hubs produced in 2005 due to a cam plate defect. I wonder how many of those complaints were generated by people who didn't get the message.

My two sets of Laser Lite hubs (again AC design freehub mechanism and ss bearings) never had any issues. Like any hub they do require maintenance, especially keeping the cam plate area clean and well lubed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. Thats what I needed and was really worried about with them. I know I am not spending the most money for the best stuff, but i am older now and surely not going to run as hard as I used to. So I dont feel top of the line is needed but I dont want junk either. I am spending money on 2 bikes now so budget comes into play somewhat. Trying to mix up a good blend to get a good wheel. Its been a real search to come up with this. Thanks to all the guys here on this forum for sure and lots of phone calls and LBS talking. LOL I think these sets will serve us fine. They will be a race only set anyway, so not a ton of miles are going to go on them real fast.

Again,
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.