Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wheelset to my LBS because I could see that they needed to be trued.
When I went to pick them up the mechanic informed me that I should start looking for a new wheelset because mine were on their last leg and he did the best he could do get me back on the trails. So here is my dilemma I don't have a lot of cash right now and I want a good wheelset. I currently have Shimano Deore M525 hubs and MAVIC X223 rims Disc and I have found the same set up at cambriabike for $99.95 (wow that's cheap) these have been a pretty good set up until now and I am ridding more rocky technical stuff. I was thinking of going tubeless and the Mavic Crossland have caught my eye. I could use any suggestions or input, Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Why are your wheels on their last legs? The rims so badly dinged from rocks or something? The bearings are toast? Whassup?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Why are your wheels on their last legs? The rims so badly dinged from rocks or something? The bearings are toast? Whassup?
That is my question, too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest with you I probably should have paid more attention but I was being distracted by my kid running around like crazy trying to climb on every bike in the shop. All I really remember was something about the spokes and he was unable to turn a bunch (frozen) and others were extremely loose and were unable to tighten them.
The rim and hubs are fine but seeing how inexpensive they are I was thinking about maybe upgrading without dropping a lot of cash. I guess I could just get them rebuilt?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
EMFC said:
To be honest with you I probably should have paid more attention but I was being distracted by my kid running around like crazy trying to climb on every bike in the shop. All I really remember was something about the spokes and he was unable to turn a bunch (frozen) and others were extremely loose and were unable to tighten them.
The rim and hubs are fine but seeing how inexpensive they are I was thinking about maybe upgrading without dropping a lot of cash. I guess I could just get them rebuilt?
I would check on the cost to rebuild. If the spoke tensions are very uneven with the rims fairly true the rims will need to be replaced, too.

It is possible that the $99 wheelset will be about the same price though the new wheels will need the hub bears to be adjusted and the spoke tensions checked before you ride it.

If you like and trust your LBS have them rebuild your wheels and service the hubs. Ask them about rims for your riding style. You may be able to upgrade to have a nicer, more durable wheelset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts