Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Thanks in advance... I have an older pr. of shimano 747 pedals which finaly need to be replaced. They are good pedals but not in mud. So OK shimano is my first choose, but there seems to be so many options like crank bros. candy's, eggbeaters, time, etc.. So what do you all use? I ride rocky technical terain. I am between shimano 540's and crank bros. candy's. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had some teething pains switching from SPD to CB but overall I like them now. You have to change the way you clip in, instead of just stepping on the pedal, you get better results sliding your foot forward or dragging your foot back. Once you do it enough it becomes natural but the amount of pressure to get in feels a little heavier, no big deal though. Another thing you watch out for is the tread on your shoe may require some dremmel love in order to allow the shell of the candy into the recessed slot of your shoe. The benefits are huge though when you start talking about the float. Once again I had teething because I had to turn foot out wider to get release but that went away after maybe ride 2 on the CB after 12 years of SPD. The float has two benefits for me, first is that it allows your foot to wiggle around which just feels more comfortable for spinning the cranks. Second benefit is that knee pain goes away even on really long days of primarily seat pedaling. Also any troubles you had clipping in during muddy days will go away. Oh yeah one more thing stiffer soles really make a difference on CB pedals cause there is less contact between pedal and shoe, it is pretty much all cleat.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've recently switched to Twin Ti EB from 959's. I've only gotten a few rides in but on the snowy days I had no trouble clearing snow and clipping in but my brother on spd's did. They are also way lighter which may or may not matter to you and in regards to the shoes......if you look at how they mount up to your pedals you'll see that the middle of the pedal doesn't support any load, it happens on the ends. You have to see it. I love the minimilist look too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Although I have heard good things about the CB pedal, I'm still sticking the SPD style pedals this year. I'm going with the Xpedo MG/CR's HERE. (Actually, these are not shown on the page but the LBS was able to order them for me). These are supposedly 260g's so they are comparable to the SL CBs, but should remain the familiarity of the pedals I'm currently using. And, the bigger benefit is they should allow me continue the use of the other pedals on my original bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.