Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride came with Ergon GA3's. I have tried to adjusted the the pad to different angles and my fingers keep getting numb and my hands hurt...

I was about sold on the Diety Supracush - but they are sold out everywhere - except for colors I wouldnt buy.

ODI Rogue Lock on is a contender.

I wear large gloves, hands arent enormous, but not small.

Any other suggestions?

· Registered
129 Posts
I rode with the GA3's for quite a while as well as a couple of other Ergon grips. While they felt really comfy for the first few minutes, in the long run they were no better than any other grip. I was using the Deity Supracush until recently and really liked them, but they still weren't exactly right. Several weeks ago I switched to the SQlab 711 Tech & Trail 2.0 grip and they're the best grip (as far as comfort) that I've used. I wear large gloves as well and purchased the medium size grip.

If you're getting numb fingers there's a good chance that your current bars don't have enough backsweep. SQlab also makes bigger backsweep bars in 12 and 16 degree backsweep. I've got the 16 degree carbon bars on one of my bikes along with the 711 grip and it's virtually eliminated (by 90%) my hand and wrist pain. My other bike has OneUp carbon bars with the 711 grips and isn't quite as comfy but still better than previous bars/grips combo except for the SQlab.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
I’ve got fairly large hands, and prefer grips with a fairly large diameter. I’ve also found I like a half waffle type texture on the front of the grip, and some rubbing up by the thumb joint.

Have you looked at the DMR deathgrip?

I also picked up some SDG Thrice grips during the pandemic, when literally every other brand I was looking for was out of stock. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by them. Enough that I grabbed another pair as a backup.

The Thrice come in a bunch of colors, and in 31mm and 33mm diameters. I’m using the 33’s. And as far as I know, they are one of the larger diameter grips available on the market. They may be worth trying at $19-20 for the pair.

· since 4/10/2009
37,135 Posts
I used ODI Rogues for a long time. They're good grips, but I came to dislike having clamps at both ends. I've settled on the Ergon GA2 Fat grips as an alternative. Big diameter and some squish much like the Rogues, but with some subtle shaping that my hands like a little better, and a clamp only on the inside of the grip, which I also like better.

My body has never agreed with any of the Ergons that have an actual platform. They always made my grip feel more insecure. Might be fine for a townie bike, but I'd rather just use something cheap on that kind of bike.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I just went back to rogues after several different grips from Pivot factory grips, to One Ups. I've just decided I like the fat grips and I got tired of tearing the soft ends off my other ones after a few rides. I've done that with 3 sets of grips in the last two years. For that reason I do like the outer lock rings.

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,678 Posts
I have Supracushes on one bike, GD-1s on another , and GE-1s on yet another. I ran GA-2 fats for a while.

They're all good grips, but between them I think the Supracushes and the GD-1s are my favorites. I agree with @Harold, I don't like the platformed ergons, my hands just don't agree with them at all.

I also am a sz large glove kind of guy.

· since 4/10/2009
37,135 Posts
I just went back to rogues after several different grips from Pivot factory grips, to One Ups. I've just decided I like the fat grips and I got tired of tearing the soft ends off my other ones after a few rides. I've done that with 3 sets of grips in the last two years. For that reason I do like the outer lock rings.
I tried to like having an outer clamp. But sweaty riding conditions meant I was constantly replacing the screws because of galvanic corrosion. It was a bit ridiculous. I'd rather deal with tearing the soft ends, which for me happens a bit less than you've experienced.

· furker
918 Posts
bar sweep, bar/stem height and width, stem length, fork stiction, bar vibration, too stiff bars, and thick hot gloves can all contribute to hand numbness and pain.

I once thought I really loved ODI Yeti grips. Then I thought I loved Bontrager XR's. Then I thought I loved ODI Troy Lee's. But every time I'd put the grips I thought I loved onto a new bike or a new build, I'd fall out of love.

I did some back to back tests with a Troy Lee on the left grip, and an XR on the right grip, then swapped in a Yeti for which ever grip caused more pain or numbness. I found that there was never a single silver bullet grip that was the best on every bike/build. Different grips worked better on different bikes.

Swapping out a fork helped hand pain the most on one bike.

Counter-intuitively, thinner grips with thinner gloves helped the most on another bike.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Agree with so much of what was said above, which is surprising, given that grips are highly subjective.

I used to think grips mattered a lot more than I do now. If my hands or fingers hurt, addressing that by changing grips is almost certainly not getting at the root of the problem. To me, grips are more about feel and style, not addressing hand pain. There are a few exceptions, but if my bike is set up properly, I have learned that FOR ME, grips play much less a role in hand and finger discomfort than I had thought.

I have tried countless times to like Ergons of all varieties. They’re just not for me.

I don’t ride any double clamped grips any more. More than anything else, that leads the grip related hand pain for me. I like soft, or at least non-metal, outer edges.

Apart from that, I like lots of grips. I think DMR Death Grips are still my ultimate favorite. The inner rings of softness are really nice for laid back climbing. As a bonus, they look incredible.

I have the SDG Thrice grips (mentioned above) that came stock on a fatty. I still use those for 3 season riding on the fatty but use ESI foam grips on that bike come winter (which seem to work nicely to insulate between the ice cold bar and my hands).

For hand pain, I would try tilting the nose of my saddle back slightly, adding spacers under my stem, getting a higher rise bar or one with different sweep, opening up the fork’s LSC and reducing HSC, ditching the fork’s volume spacers altogether (or only using 1 or 2), and (as posted above) trying a few counter intuitive things, like ditching gloves with padding, and using thinner diameter grips, and firmer feeling grips (less cush but no outside metal clamps).

My only absolute - no outer edge metal clamp.

My next grips are going to be Rev grips. I have a bike trip planned for next week. Motivated by this thread, I think I will pick some up tomorrow. And yes - I appreciate that their outer edges, while not metal clamps, are not very pliable. Oh well. If I don’t like them I will move on.

· Registered
438 Posts
I'd work on your bike setup. After getting my bars/brakes/shifter angles squared away I still I had fairly consistent issues with numbness. I finally dropped my seat just 5mm and that fixed the majority of it. Now I only get slight numbness or pain when I really get at it and unknowingly death drip the bars and/or have lots of weight on my hands on the bars. I would get both thumb/pointer issues (median nerve?) and sometimes pinky/ring (ulnar nerve?) either alone or some combination of the 2.

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the tips. I'll mess with the bars and makes sure I have the sweep set up right. the bars are specialized "Stout XC, double-butted alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 10mm rise, 720mm width, 31.8mm"

grips... still need some. Funny, I have loved the Oury's on my CBR. not sure why I didnt think of these.

· Single Track Mind
1,054 Posts
I've got fairly large hands, and prefer grips with a fairly large diameter. I've also found I like a half waffle type texture on the front of the grip, and some rubbing up by the thumb joint.

Have you looked at the DMR deathgrip?

I also picked up some SDG Thrice grips during the pandemic, when literally every other brand I was looking for was out of stock. I've been pleasantly surprised by them. Enough that I grabbed another pair as a backup.

The Thrice come in a bunch of colors, and in 31mm and 33mm diameters. I'm using the 33's. And as far as I know, they are one of the larger diameter grips available on the market. They may be worth trying at $19-20 for the pair.
+1 for the Thrice. I was also surprised by how much I like them.

· Registered
177 Posts
Singletracks just reviewed a bunch of grips and did a decent job identifying strengths/weaknesses imo:

I like the Deathgrips, but there are lots of good options to try.

· Registered
105 Posts
Fwiw, the Ergon G3s have been a game-changer for me. I used to have intense pain in my upper palm, especially toward the end of the day at a bike park and after long XC rides. I have big hands and used ODI Rogues and I'm not a death-gripper by any means. But the Ergons create a nice contact patch that gets the pressure off that callous-prone area while still giving me good control. I position them almost horizontally and adjust the brake levers accordingly. I get that they're not for everyone, but there's definitely something to the shape that can work for lots of people.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.