Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am running some specialized tires and i keep pinching my tubes. Almost every time i ride i have to replace the tube. A friend of mine suggested running some tires with thicker sidewalls and recomended maxxis or intense. What do you guys think?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Besides increasing air pressure (but that might yield loss of traction) and riding smoother, a thicker sidewall would be a good move if you don't mind the added weight. The WTBs with the inner peace sidewalls also work well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride a Tomac 204 magnum. I didnt include many details because i ride all over the place. I ride gnarly downhill to street, dirt jumps to muddy single track. Mostly in-city (seattle), but i am going to whistler in a few weeks. i ride pretty hard, not big drop offs yet, nothing larger than 5-7', i like to ride really gnarly trails and fast straight downhill descents. my pressures range depending on what im riding, in-city generally pretty high, but packed dirt gets pretty low pressure. i weigh around 185, mtbing for a good 13 years, but just got into downhill about a year ago. Never race, just for fun

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
I prefer Kendas personally, Blue Groove front/Nevegal rear. However, Maxxis, Intense and Michelin also make nice tires.

A couple words about each.

Maxxis - tend to run small, for example a 2.7 would be @ 2.5 really. The sidewalls are pretty standard as far a DH tires go.

Intense - HEAVY and have some of the thickest sidewalls around.

Michelin - Would probably be my second choice. Good sidewalls and nice treads. Run a Mich 32 front, awesome tire.

Good luck and have fun at Whizzler

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Check with your LBS and see what they recommend.

I personally have converted to Maxxis DH 2 ply tires. I run a 2.7 Minion 42a in the front a 2.5 High Roller 60a in the rear. These are heavy at about 1400 grams each. I was very nervous about this. Coming off Kendas at 800 grams, these tires roll much better, so the extra weight is not as noticable as i expected. I climb to the top of every one of my descents, so these things matter. I have yet to have a problem with my tires since switching. I was having a tire problem almost every ride before that.

The tires do run small. A 2.7 is like a 2.5 and a 2.5 is like a 2.35. I really like the Maxxis DH tire line, they are very versatile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.