Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out today that the poping noise in my BB area is the spline on my 952s, converted, is chewed away enough that they are slipping when I apply pressure in a hortz stance on the bike, it seems to get worse the longer I ride which also indicates to me that it's also loosing up. Anyway, looks like I need a new crank set to replace so.... given that I already paid $40 for the non-spider ring, super cheap and poor, anyone got a good cost-effective solution maybe using the ring I have now with a new crank (if anyone makes em any longer). Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
try this

I have heard of people using the other shimano spline interface, like an XT bottom bracket, to continue using a worn out XTR splined crank. You just crank it together with steel bolts and "create" a new spline pattern on the XTR. I haven't usesd this yet, but I probably will with some wornout cranks I have.

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
Are you familiar with Middleburn? They make interchangable cranks and spiders. Not sure if the price is what your looking for, and it may be hard to get their stuff in the US, but their separate crank/spider design concept is sound, and they have a good reputation in the weight weenie community.

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HOser said:
Are you familiar with Middleburn? They make interchangable cranks and spiders. Not sure if the price is what your looking for, and it may be hard to get their stuff in the US, but their separate crank/spider design concept is sound, and they have a good reputation in the weight weenie community.

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/
Ya I just saw those today when looking around... who's the US dist, none listed on their site? Great looking stuff but don't want to pay for that overseas shipping + I'm looking for something I can get though QBP.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh ya I'm honest about the stuff I sell or give away, selling as is and saying they are wornout and pop... some people like farting with stuff, esp when they can get a $45 spiderless ring and a decent BB for maybe $20? I start all my auctions at .99 with no reserve, I just hate having that stuff in the basement to rot. I would give it away but I bought that ring so I need to recoup some of that back and that thing has only been on for this past season and is in great shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.