Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rip Van Winkle
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, stock yet broken FSA crank CK 306 TTT on Cannondale F5
I would like to get the SLX 3 ring. Supposedly the square taper BB I have now is 110mm wide (BB part # FSA TH 7420 ST) I creamed the Middle ring and it's not a serviceable unit. I thought I knew my bike equipment, haha. I need help. The description below tells me all of this but will my middle chainring still line up in the same place. I do know I want the 175 mm cranks. Thanks guys.

The Shimano SLX FC-M660 crankset is designed to be used with 9 speed drivetrains. The 4-Arm construction utilizes a 104/64mm bolt circle diameter for the chainrings which is the same as XTR 970 and XT 770 cranks. The bottom bracket is included which is compatible with both 68 and 73mm bottom bracket shells. The SLX cranks are only available in 170 and 175mm lengths.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Virtually all the new external bearing cranks use a 50mm chainline rather than the 47.5mm chainline like older square taper cranks. That's within the adjustment range of older derailleurs which could accommodate 47.5-50mm chainlines, but you'd have to tweak the H/L limit screws.

·
Rip Van Winkle
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, will it work? my F5 is a 2008/09 model. I do not mind throwing out the oem bottom bracket.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The SLX crankset comes with an external BB which you will need to use, unless you have another external BB laying around. The SLX has an integrated spindle, so your current BB is incompatible. But yes, it will work

·
Rip Van Winkle
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
squash00 said:
out of curiosity what does it mean by 170mm or 175mm
This is a measurement of the crank length center to center. Very slight difference that I have never wanted to complicate my life with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts