Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2009 Giant Reign X1, it came with Hayes Stroker Trail's. The brakes have been nothing but suck since day one. Boil over constantly, constantly need to be re-bled, levers stick. Now I think the master cylinder is gone on the rear brake (fluid seems to have blown out everywhere out of it).

I'm going to get new brakes.

Right now I'm looking at Saints, or Avid Codes.

Do either of these have any kind of adjustment for how much "throw" the lever has? that's another thing I hated with the Hayes is you had to pull the lever half way before anything even happened I like no throw in my lever.

Is there any other DH/AM brakes I should look at?

·
Registered
355 Posts
My Avid Elixir CR's have been rock solid. No issues at all. You can get them fairly on ebay if your an ebayer.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you adjust the "throw/pull"? Not sure the terminology. I want to be able to adjust how much i have to pull the lever before it engages the rotor. Reach adjustment I will never use I put them as far out as they can go.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
why are you looking at such heavy duty breaks? id look at xt or slx or juicy 7's. i think those types of breaks are alot more suitable for you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because i'm 230lbs and burn them up at the ski resort.

Which ones besides saints allow you to adjust the amount of pull required?

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
No such thing as too much braking power IMO. I have a set of Formula Oro K24s that I love. They have both reach and contact adjustments. The braking power is pretty strong, and I've never noticed the tiniest hint of fade even on continuous descents lasting several miles. In fact, the brakes seem to work better in those conditions than on XC rides in felatively flat terrain where the brakes never have a chance to warm up. The one issue I should mention is that the levers feel a bit softer than most. You'll never get that solid feel when you squeeze the brakes firmly. That can give the false impression of a lack of power in a quick parking lot test squeeze.

The Formula Oro Bianco, Puro, Mega, and One from '09 or earlier all have both contact and reach adjustments, and all work very well from what I've heard. The R1 and all current '10 brakes do not have contact adjustment.

I've also ridden Saints, XTs, Magura Martas, and Elixir CRs. All are good systems. I liked Elixers and Martas the least. They do have a nice solid lever feel, but I found the power lacking a bit compared to what I'm used to. The Saints have great lever feel and ridiculous power. They feel perfectly capable of stopping a motorcycle much less a mountain bike. The downside is that they're a bit heavy. XTs are lighter and feel almost as good with a moderate reduction in stopping power.

If you can get a good set of used Formula Oros or the older One and Mega, I say go for it. If not, give the Shimano stuff a try. Either XT or Saint depending on whether you care more about sheer power or weight.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks miniwisejosh.

I don't care about much about the weight my bike is not exactly a lightweight.

How is bleeding on the Formulas? do you need some silly kit? I heard he Saints are more like my motorcycle brakes and you don't need a kit to bleed them, I just gravity bleed my brakes on my dirt bike it easy.

I will look, good info those miniwisejosh thanks.

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
You're welcome.

The Formula brakes do require a bleed kit which consists of 2 syringes and tips that screw into the caliper and master cylinder. The kits from Avid and Formula are interchangeable (and the Avid kit comes with extras like a little bottle of fluid).

I think the procedure is pretty simple. Just screw in both syringes, transfer fluid from one to the other, and remove air. It usually takes me about 15 min. per brake. I've never tried bleeding other brakes though, so I have no idea how the Shimano, Hayes, Magura, etc systems compare.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luigiugueto said:
Has this happened to all Stroker Trail owners? I was taking a look into those!
I called the LBS today to try to get mine fixed he said "what kind are they" Then basically told me I should get new brakes and stay away from hayes. Said a lot of them have been in there for bleeds/repairs.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks , after much looking I decided to go with the XT's, Hucknroll had a pretty good price on them. Saved a ton of money over the saints too, which would probably be overkill for what I do. ( i only hit the ski resort a couple times a year )

·
Registered
851 Posts
KTMDirtFace said:
Can you adjust the "throw/pull"? Not sure the terminology. I want to be able to adjust how much i have to pull the lever before it engages the rotor. Reach adjustment I will never use I put them as far out as they can go.
Both have lever throw adjustments, BUT I had older Codes, and replaced them with new Saints and neither really worked. I love the new saints however. To actually adjust the throw on them just pull off the calpier, give the lever a few squeezes. Drop the lever back over the rotor and test. If the throw is still too much, do it again. If you went too far, use a screwdriver and push the pistons back in again.

I havent messed with the new Codes, but they look nice.

·
Crainius Maximus
282 Posts
KTMDirtFace said:
Thanks , after much looking I decided to go with the XT's, Hucknroll had a pretty good price on them. Saved a ton of money over the saints too, which would probably be overkill for what I do. ( i only hit the ski resort a couple times a year )
If you find that the XTs don't have the power you need, you can always install a Saint caliper on the front and keep your existing master cylinder/lever. Same goes for the rear; although, I doubt you'd need that much braking power out back. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The new Hayes Prime Ministers are supposed to have throw and lever reach adjustments on the flly

·
Registered
890 Posts
The new Hayes stroker ace are suppose to be really good. Anyone who has used them or are running them really like them.

The reviews on this forum back it up too. Im thinking about going with those cause it will be 300 bucks for front/rear. Very good pricing for a sick 4 piston brake.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I second the Formula Brakes. I have Megas on my Rocky Mountain and they are awsome. Far better than Codes, Elixirs or Hayes. I have Codes and Elixirs and have had several models of the Hayes Strokers. The Shimano brakes I have (XT and XTR) work just as well as the Formula brakes but they lack the same amount of power. The whole lever adjustment system works perfectly as described. Modulation is better than any of the brakes mentioned above and power is atleast on par with the Codes, if not more powerful. Only draw back is they are more expensive than most brakes.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I run the Hayes stroker carbons with 7in.Hope floating(stay cooler). rotors on my Nomad and they are rock solid!!!If I were to switch,I would go Hope.

·
Registered
111 Posts
gunt pimp said:
Hope M4's!
That's right!
IMO, the best brakes on market today!
Stunning look, perfect modulation and lots of power.

Additionally - very simple bleeding with no bleeding kits, but just ordinary tools.

And all adjustments you could need on the levers.

I used to have Hayes HFX-9 and lately Avid Elixir CR and I have moved to Hope. There is no turning back if you chose this path.

Best regards

1 - 20 of 25 Posts