Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a mountain bike since my last was a 93' Trek 6000 which I gave to a friend many years ago. A little about my background I was a BMX racer during my teenage years working my way up to the expert class which was ten years ago. I did have my Trek during that time and rode it occasionally. Now at my well older age I am looking for a mountain bike and wow has the times changed. Full suspension, disc brakes, etc.
I am 5'10 170lbs which sizes me to a 16.5" to 17" mountain bike frame. I see there are Trail, Downhill, Freeride, XC bike types...when back in the mid 90's there were only one. I am looking for trail riding especially the nearby 96' Atlanta Oylmpic mountain bike course which I would like to tackle. I have never ridden a suspension bike either front nor full. But it looks like I would like a Full suspension bike with disc brakes since I am still amazed they are on bikes now...lol Currently I was looking at Cannondale and Specialized. Specifically, I was interested in the Specialized FSR and FSR Comp.

Any recommendations? Or am I shooting too high right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Cannondale Prophet 600 with disk brakes and full supension. I love it, just stated riding. The best advice I can give you is to test ride, test ride, test ride. Better yet, rent the bike for a weekend if you can. You can never really shoot too high. If you bought a low end bike you'd want more. Buy something you will grow into.

·
Registered
928 Posts
How much do you plan on spending?

And what type of riding style do you see yourself as? 5' drops, 2' drops, do you like speed, etc?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.