Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a big crack on my '07 Thomson stem face plate / handlebar clamp.

Sent the picture to Thomson and they said it's time to replace the stem - not just that face plate / handlebar clamp.

I see they don't make this exact stem I have anymore.

I am very happy with my set up / geometry now.

1) What rise do I have on my current bars?
2) Which carbon bars should I get?
3) Which stem should I buy? I have the 5 degree and see that most stems now seem to be either 0 or 10 degree?
4) Once I am at it, should I replace the 7 year old Thomson Elite seat post?

I measured my bars width without the end caps that lock on the grips, it is 61 cm.

I know wide is cool now but I am a very small rider (5' 3.25") riding mostly single track on a XS 14" 2007 Flux with a Rock Shock 426 Air 130 fork.

I don't want to end up with a wider bar that pulls me even more forward on the bike. If anything, I would prefer to be a drop more upright for aggressive trail riding.

For what i ride, a 5" bike like the 5 Spot with a slacker head angle would have been ideal but the XS Flux just fit me better and after speaking with Dave back then, that's what i got. And a new bike isn't in the picture right now.

thanks for the help!

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ain't nobody gonna help a brother out?

trying to understand the stem length, stem degree, bar width story.........

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
You got a. 90 mil stem w 5 degree rise.

Is that your question?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I always had. Would be happy to replace with the same but Thomson no longer makes it.

Also need new bars but seems all the carbon bars are wider now and I don't really want to change what I feel is a dialed in bike for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have carbon and want to buy new carbon so no cutting. But where do I start with the stem ? Length, degree?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so it looks like I can go with the Thomson 4x 90mm with the 10 degree rise with a 31.8 carbon bar about 625-630 wide.

But is changing from a 5 degree to a 10 degree stem a meaningful change at all?

Will the same amount of rise I have in my current bar be ok or coupled with the extra degree in the stem will it be too high?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can still get a 90mm x25.4 mm stem with 10 degree rise (if not Thomson than at least Hope). The 5 degrees difference is only a few mm up or down. Move one ring on your steerer from below the stem to above the stem and the position is again equal to what you now have. Play around with the spacer if you like to change. Why would you change your handlebar? If you want a wider handlebar without changing position too much you would need a shorter stem. When changing the handlebar a wider choice in stems becomes available as you can go to 31.8mm for stem and handlebar. Again play with the spacers you have to optimize your height.

Then you are changing more without knowing whether you personally like it. If you don't you would need to change at least the stem to get back to your current position.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going for a new bar bc I have 7 years on this one and for 100-150$ for a new carbon bar it seemed like a wise choice.

So 90 mm, 10 degree, similar width bar (625-630) and I can play with the spacers to adjust my position...... Thanks for that input

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do note when replacing your bars that you currently have a pretty high rise bar at least to current standards. If you want to keep your potition you should pay attention to that. For each 7mm you would need 5 degree extra rise or move the spacer back down. Note that you can not add spacers below your stem than you currently have (maybe one if really needed, but don't count on that)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. I think I have the 40 mm rise and I am not clear about the sweep. So I'll probably go for a new bar with as close to that rise as possible. I am having a bit of trouble finding a carbon bar w 40 mm rise and 625-635 width. I just don't want wider.

I played around with a wider bar position this morning on my ride by moving my hands out further towards the end of the bar.

I'm a small guy and it just wasn't comfortable.

Thanks for the input .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts