Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I bought the 04 Mx Comp and at the same time ordered up the heavy duty springset. I believe it was ordered from QBP.
Upon installation of the springs, I discovered that the alleged HD springs that showed up are approx 1" shorter than the springs I pulled out of the fork!!!
Am I a moron or is this picture wrong?
The spring package is blandly packaged and only carries this tag #5141109.
Any suggestions before I call Marz?
Are the springs I got for the 26" version?
Is there an extra spacer to be used w/ these midget springs?

Itching to ride w/ squish.
Insight! Help!

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Padre said:
Okay, so I bought the 04 Mx Comp and at the same time ordered up the heavy duty springset. I believe it was ordered from QBP.
Upon installation of the springs, I discovered that the alleged HD springs that showed up are approx 1" shorter than the springs I pulled out of the fork!!!
Am I a moron or is this picture wrong?
The spring package is blandly packaged and only carries this tag #5141109.
Any suggestions before I call Marz?
Are the springs I got for the 26" version?
Is there an extra spacer to be used w/ these midget springs?

Itching to ride w/ squish.
Insight! Help!
Is your fork an 80 mm travel or 100? I'm guessing 100 and you have an 80mm spring... anyhow,

try 1-800-227-5579 for customer service. A guy named Keith has been particulary helpful in the past.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fattirewilly said:
Is your fork an 80 mm travel or 100? I'm guessing 100 and you have an 80mm spring... anyhow,
try 1-800-227-5579 for customer service. A guy named Keith has been particulary helpful in the past.
The fork is a 29er fork, so it's gotta be 80mm right? There is only 3" of stanchion showing, so I'm assuming 80mm.
By the way, there is no Keith @ Marz.

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
Seems like you have got springs for 65 mm forks. Check the table below from 2002, where some of the available springs are shown. My 03, 75 mm MX Coil (non-ETA) has the green marked 5141184, 80 mm springs. They are often called "medium" but sometimes "soft".

Arancione - orange
Verde - green
Gialla - yellow
Bianca - white
Rossa - red
Grigia - grey

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Marz tech who didn't seem to sure, the springs I have are for the ETA version of the Mx which was never offered aftermarket.
He said the springs that come in the 04 Mx Comp are the heaviest available and my only option for stiffening is heavier oil.
SUCK.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
That blows...

...I was awaiting your ride review because I'm firm on the fence between the MX Comp (coil) and an air Dee Dee.

I suppose a full filling of 10 weight should get you there. That fork has rebound adj right?

Sean

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Padre said:
According to Marz tech who didn't seem to sure, the springs I have are for the ETA version of the Mx which was never offered aftermarket.
He said the springs that come in the 04 Mx Comp are the heaviest available and my only option for stiffening is heavier oil.
SUCK.
Sounds like Keith doesn't work there anymore. Measure your exact coil length and tell them to send you the stiffest thing they have in the same length. Regardless of the fork model, that is the sollution. Heavier oil is a cop out that will only affect the compression and damping. You could also get a longer spring, cut it off and grind the end smooth.

Let us know what the length/diameter is. Maybe someone has something that will help. I have an old Judy with 220 pound springs that needs lighter springs to be a loaner. Maybe you can get a Manitue or Rockshock coil that will work.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah.. I got that feeling.
If that spring rate is for 180lbs..I don't see how adding 10wt oil is going to safely/properly address my extra 60lbs.
I'll pull that spring and measure it....

Fattirewilly said:
Sounds like Keith doesn't work there anymore. Measure your exact coil length and tell them to send you the stiffest thing they have in the same length. Regardless of the fork model, that is the sollution. Heavier oil is a cop out that will only affect the compression and damping. You could also get a longer spring, cut it off and grind the end smooth.

Let us know what the length/diameter is. Maybe someone has something that will help. I have an old Judy with 220 pound springs that needs lighter springs to be a loaner. Maybe you can get a Manitue or Rockshock coil that will work.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solution

Spent some time on the phone w/ Marz.
They seem to be figuring this stuff out as they go along.
The stock springs in the 29er MxComp 04 are all that is offerd and no other spring combo will fit/work...according to them.
Solution is...Buy air caps for the 26" MxComp air version and run 10psi of pre-load pressure.
Seems to work.
My dad's Z150 operates this way and has been flawless.

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
I've used the aircap retrofit for little wheel marzocchis. It works great, the only downside is that it makes the travel progressive, drop your oil level as low as you can if you want to minimize the progressiveness.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DancingBear said:
It works great, the only downside is that it makes the travel progressive, drop your oil level as low as you can if you want to minimize the progressiveness.
Note: I don't know what the knobs do on my shocks. So help me out w/ a description of the progressive feel...
Are you saying that it will feel more "dead" till you hit bumps like my Romic? Or are you saying it will feel like a standar Fox airshock that bounces along all the time?

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
By progressive I mean that the stiffness of the air spring will increase as you go through your travel, whereas a coil spring has a linear spring rate that stays the same all the way through the travel. Progressiveness makes a fork very hard to bottom out and a bit harsh on the biggest hits.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, I see.
I think for my singlespeed application the progressive approach might help the fork stay more still, no?
At my weight and riding style, not bottoming out will be a good thing.
Last nights ride on the fork was crazy dangerous as on the descents I was riding at the bottom .5" of the travel the whole time..sucks...

DancingBear said:
By progressive I mean that the stiffness of the air spring will increase as you go through your travel, whereas a coil spring has a linear spring rate that stays the same all the way through the travel. Progressiveness makes a fork very hard to bottom out and a bit harsh on the biggest hits.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
What's the damage on the air caps?

and is it a DIY solution or something Marz wants to handle from a warranty/liability perspective.

I'll be getting a Z150 on a trade shortly for install on my RFX and I'm also changing the oil to 10wt from 7.5wt. At 240ish fully loaded I've always preferred the feel of running heavier oil in my Zokes.

We'll see how the air preload works - a number of clyde-esque Z150 owners claim that it works perfect but it seems odd that Zoke would go with the additional maintenance/potential for failure of the air caps vs. just letting people get the right sag/preload from different springsets.

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts