Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My bike is my happy place
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help finding a new tire.

Here's the scenario:I just replaced my back wheel with a Bontrager Race Tubeless wheel I won about three years ago. I'm running a Panaracer Trailblaster 2.1 tire on it with tube (don't need tubeless).

First off, getting the tire on is a holy b!tch!! I can get it on, but it's so tight I was afraid I'd snap my levers. Once on, the tire doesn't seat correctly. One spot always sits lower on the rim and you notice it in the ride.

So I'm think about getting a replacement tire that I don't have to fight with so much. But I don't know how to tell which of the tires out there would go on easier. Has someone else gone thru this and can point me to a low knob tire that will work better with the Bonty rim? Or is there a website that tells you what kind of rim radius a given tire will clear?

·
My bike is my happy place
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know they're technically the same. But I have a set of Hansventures on my FS that I can put on with my thumbs, but putting a set of Kenda Kharismas on the same rims needed some elbow grease. So I know there's some variation out there.

I was hoping someone could point me to a set that they felt was easier than average at going on, and save me from buying a stack of tires that won't fit the bill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's all in the technique. Try putting the first bead on by starting opposite the valve. Work it into place, in the center channel in the tirewell, and then try putting the second bead on in the same manner. Be sure that the second bead is in the center channel while you are putting it on. Once you have the beads on, inflate the tire and you should be ready to roll. Sometimes, it is necessary to overinflate the tire to get the beads to lock properly. Usually 50-60psi will do trick.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Folding Trailblasters

I've found the folding Trailblaster 2.10s to be the easiest tyre to put on. I don't even need levers with my Bontrager rims. Is your Trailblaster a steel wire type?

I have Michelin Town & Country tyres on my "going to the shops" bike. They are incredibly difficult to get on and off the rims. I have to use steel tyre levers with them - the plastic ones give up before the tyre moves.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
If your Bonty wheels have the tubeless rimstrip and you're using tubes, take the big strips off. The tires are fine, it's those rims, they are tighter than most and taking the useless (in your case) strip helps as they are big and take a lot of much needed space to easily put tires on and off...

Did I say the rim strips were big? :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.