Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a lightweight rider who prefers light tires. I have been having problems with spinout. I like mutanoraptos and traibears but they are heavy. I'm in SoCal and so no mud, just dry and loose with some rocks and sand. Any input appreciated.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Impy said:
I am a lightweight rider who prefers light tires. I have been having problems with spinout. I like mutanoraptos and traibears but they are heavy. I'm in SoCal and so no mud, just dry and loose with some rocks and sand. Any input appreciated.
Have you tried Schwalbe Racing Ralphs? I run them in Colorado. Taken them to Moab, Fruita, all over Front Range. Also, WTB Weirwolf is an excellent front tire. The rolling resistance plays role mainly in the rear, so a beefier front tire won't make that much difference on the uphill/flat, but will make a world of difference going down.

_MK

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro are very popular in So-cal at 580 grams are light. If you try them make sure you get the ones made in Japan not Taiwan.

I used to use 2.1 Panaracers, but prefer wider tires and I am willing to live with the weight penalty. The 2.25 Trailbears are nearly 200 grams heavier than 2.1 Panaracers. I use 2.25 Trailbears on my SS and a 2.5 Trailbear on the back of my 5-spot.

I find the best way to keep from spinning out is to run low tire pressure. I normaly run about 26-28 lbs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Impy said:
  • Hutchinson Spider Air Light, 2.1 f/1.85r They run "big"
  • Schwalbe King Jim/Big Jim 2.35/2.25
  • Geax Barro Marathon 2.3/2.1 (hunch that they will work well. Got a set at Sea Otter)
You must wear lyrca, though. Get much better traction. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dstepper said:
2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro are very popular in So-cal at 580 grams are light. If you try them make sure you get the ones made in Japan not Taiwan.

I used to use 2.1 Panaracers, but prefer wider tires and I am willing to live with the weight penalty. The 2.25 Trailbears are nearly 200 grams heavier than 2.1 Panaracers. I use 2.25 Trailbears on my SS and a 2.5 Trailbear on the back of my 5-spot.

I find the best way to keep from spinning out is to run low tire pressure. I normaly run about 26-28 lbs.
I haven't tried the Fire XC pros. Why not the Taiwainese ones?

I used to have trailbears on my racer x, maybe I should revisit them

I run that pressure, or lower. Maybe it's time I start to try Stans to get even lower?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MK_ said:
Have you tried Schwalbe Racing Ralphs? I run them in Colorado. Taken them to Moab, Fruita, all over Front Range. Also, WTB Weirwolf is an excellent front tire. The rolling resistance plays role mainly in the rear, so a beefier front tire won't make that much difference on the uphill/flat, but will make a world of difference going down.

_MK
Thanks, I will check them out.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shiggy said:
  • Hutchinson Spider Air Light, 2.1 f/1.85r They run "big"
  • Schwalbe King Jim/Big Jim 2.35/2.25
  • Geax Barro Marathon 2.3/2.1 (hunch that they will work well. Got a set at Sea Otter)
You must wear lyrca, though. Get much better traction. :rolleyes:
Thanks shig.

I already wear lycra most of the time, so I'm not sure that's going to help the traction, but thanks, mr wise guy. ;)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Impy said:
I haven't tried the Fire XC pros. Why not the Taiwainese ones?

I used to have trailbears on my racer x, maybe I should revisit them

I run that pressure, or lower. Maybe it's time I start to try Stans to get even lower?

Thanks for your advice!
Fire XC Pro 2.1 - The Taiwanese version uses a harder compound and was intended to be a cheap tire for OEM use. The japanese is the better retail version.
Conti vertical Pro 2.3 (they're only 2.1 in size)
Hutch Spider

I like them in the reverse order that I listed them in. Go figure :D

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I swear..

Impy said:
By the kenda nev and nokian NBX. But thats on a FS gearie..

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Fire XC Pro 2.1 - The Taiwanese version uses a harder compound and was intended to be a cheap tire for OEM use. The japanese is the better retail version.
Conti vertical Pro 2.3 (they're only 2.1 in size)
Hutch Spider

I like them in the reverse order that I listed them in. Go figure :D
Yes, the Japanese version has 127tpi (threads per inch) = more supple = sticks better in the loose.

·
Ride on
639 Posts
warning about Fire XC Pros

I used them for a while here in NorCal with similar dry conditions. They hooked up well and rolled fine in the dirt. They do run small for their stated size, though. If you run tubes expect pinch flats if you run less than 35-40 PSI. I ditched them to run... Mutanoraptors :) Now I'm looking at the Cinders for the same deep tread with increased air volume.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.