Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm exploring options in a bike for the wifey who is 5'1" and a 115 lbs soaking wet. I want to build up a nice plush, efficient, and light bike for her. One of the many benefits to Titus's suspension design is that it allows them to produce some pretty small frames. It would be used for rough trail riding.

I would love some feed back from those XS and XXS Titus owners of Racer-X and Motolite frames. Let me know what you like, what you don't, how you ride, how tall you are, how heavy, how it fits, etc... And if at all possible, post pictures of your rig.

Best Regards,
bm

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My wife is 5'6" and 115lbs, on paper the XS should have fit her perfectly. But with a thompson straight post and 100mm stem the bike is still a bit too long for her. Should have went with the first choice, a 15" El salty with a 21"tt and 5" rockers. The only gripe about the XS is the bottle cage is under the downtube because their is no room in the front triangle for one and she can't reach down far enough to grab it. Since she is pretty new at riding she feels more confident in the 5" mode and the talas at 140 on the steeps. The fork is a nice touch because she can switch it to 100mm in 2 clicks and hit the lever on the RP23 and climb without a hind of bobbing at all, until she hits a root or something. So we have left the rear at 5". I would have to say that the frame quality is as expected these days, top notch and it built up without a fuss. I haven't weighed it but its most likely in the 24lb range, the parts are some of the lightest out there-marta sl's, XO, 1400g wheelset carbon bars, foam grips, etc. If she rides more this year I will have to get her a different frame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In the process of building up an xs motolite for my lady, who is 115# and 5'2. Test fitting shows standard seatpost (not straight or layback, maybe 10mm offset clamp rearwards) and a 90mm stem is about right.

Regarding the water bottle limitation. Yes, camelback it will have to be. There is no way I could handle the bottle below the downtube. At that point why not use a bag?

Unfortunately I don't have the splash for the 24 lb motolite. This will be built up with juicy's, float rlt, xt/819 wheelset, and other midlevel stuff. Hopefully will keep it around 27-28. Should get it built up by the end of next week.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
necro said:
In the process of building up an xs motolite for my lady, who is 115# and 5'2. Test fitting shows standard seatpost (not straight or layback, maybe 10mm offset clamp rearwards) and a 90mm stem is about right.

Regarding the water bottle limitation. Yes, camelback it will have to be. There is no way I could handle the bottle below the downtube. At that point why not use a bag?

Unfortunately I don't have the splash for the 24 lb motolite. This will be built up with juicy's, float rlt, xt/819 wheelset, and other midlevel stuff. Hopefully will keep it around 27-28. Should get it built up by the end of next week.
Please post pics and a report of how she likes it when it's done. We too use camelbacks so no worries there.

Thanks,
bm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Titus XS Racer X

Chad at Red Barn built up an XS Racer X for my wife. She is 5'1" and 107 lbs. Standard titus seat post with FSA 100 zero rise stem. The bike works great. She likes her riding position to be a little more in the cross country position. If I was going to do it again I might consider 165MM crank arms. Bike weighs in at 25lbs. Be prepared to follow her on the trails. My wife could always climb well but she now rubs tires with all the guys on tight single track.
Components
Wheels DT swiss 4.1 with 240 hubs
SRAM XO Trigger
Marta SL (if you go with Marta's ask the shop to adjust levers to her hands the factory puts small amount of loctite on 2mm adj screw and the screw head strips out easily)
XT Crank
FSA Handlebars
FSA Stem
Team Reba

My .02 remember your wife is light and the extra 2-3 lbs may not seem like much but it makes more of a difference to her than you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BerlintheDog said:
Chad at Red Barn built up an XS Racer X for my wife. She is 5'1" and 107 lbs. Standard titus seat post with FSA 100 zero rise stem. The bike works great. She likes her riding position to be a little more in the cross country position. If I was going to do it again I might consider 165MM crank arms. Bike weighs in at 25lbs. Be prepared to follow her on the trails. My wife could always climb well but she now rubs tires with all the guys on tight single track.

My .02 remember your wife is light and the extra 2-3 lbs may not seem like much but it makes more of a difference to her than you.
Berlin: Boy do I have a couple of questions for you. just to confirm, you built her a XS (15in) and not an XXS (13.25in), correct? There is a 1.2 inch difference in the effective length of the top tube, which is a big difference (21.5 vs 20 inches). Does she ever find the 80mm of travel limiting? I need the bike to be plush. She currently rides a hardtail and is getting discouraged by the beating she takes on our local trails. The one word I would use to describe our trails is "rooty".

Also, I agree with you on the weight. I'm sparing no expense. This bike is going to be absurdly pimped out. It will be a far superior bike to what I ride.

Post a pic of the bike if you can. I'd love to see it.

Regards,
bm

·
Registered
78 Posts
BerlintheDog said:
While I love my wife, dropping that final 2-3 lb's is very pricey. Going to xtr, marta sl's and a swanky wheelset would do it, but there's always the sucking sound from tele-skiing, skate skiing, road biking, climbing, backpacking and international travel!

Then again, I don't work as much as I should. Maybe if I was more motivated in that regard I could have some new shiny bits too! Of course then I couldn't play as often.

Sorry you have to make do with that 27lb motolite honey, I know life is quite hard.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
mbabaracus said:
Also, I agree with you on the weight. I'm sparing no expense. This bike is going to be absurdly pimped out. It will be a far superior bike to what I ride.
Damn both of you. Hanging out in forums always makes me spend more money! :madman:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
necro said:
Sorry you have to make do with that 27lb motolite honey, I know life is quite hard.:rolleyes:
If your wife is happy on the bike that's all that matters. I'm probably overcompensating for the fact that my wife's current bike weighs about 40 pounds and makes her miserable. Truth is I'd pay anything to get her to enjoy riding. I don't have a local Titus dealer so I have to order demo bikes from Competitive Cyclist just to find out if it's a go. That cost $200 bucks a pop, hence I'm doing a little research - and I really do value your input.

As far as weight goes. I've actually found there isn't a great difference between XT and XTR in the weight department. The greatest gains can be made in the wheels, tubes, and tires. They say rotating mass is worth 2x. I have always been suprised how much weight can be saved just by going with ultralight tubes and tires such as continental's supersonic series. They're not as durable but you save about a pound of rotating mass over a standard tire for relatively little money - or none if you need new tires. Of course you could save another pound by getting some pimp wheels but that will set you back quite a bit more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
mbabaracus said:
If your wife is happy on the bike that's all that matters. I'm probably overcompensating for the fact that my wife's current bike weighs about 40 pounds and makes her miserable.
That's pretty funny. My wife is an ex-racer riding a ~20-21 lb cannondale hardtail, so she'll be gaining a bunch of weight with this ride. I've been prepping her for months about how she is going to have to change how she rides and views hills.

Regarding the light tires/tubes. Only will run tubeless these days, but I shy away from light tires big time. Not worth the tradeoff. Every tire I buy is bigger than the last, and I like them more and more. My tires weigh as almost as much as my frame :thumbsup:

I ride loose, rugged, rocky conditions though, tires are personal and location dependent.

Good luck! I'll post when we get out riding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wifes Racer X

If you go to Red Barn bicycles and look at customers bikes her bike say Terry's Racer X. The bike is a Racer X XS. My wife demoed the XXS and XS and like the reach of the XS better. Chad convinced me to run the Team Reba at 100MM. From what I can see the 100MM did not hurt performance. My sister also purchased one and she is 5'2". The only difference in bikes is she purchased the Reba with U-Turn technology and her frame is an 05. Therefore, she can adjust between 80MM and 115MM. She also rides the bike at 100MM 95% of the time.
Rear travel, I just don't know if my wifes riding style would take advantage of 5" travel. She did demo the Moto Lite but did not like the riding position as well. I think she likes the speed but It could have been set-up. All I can say is both my wife and sister are fast in tight single track and both are happy. Wheel choice will be critical. My sisters bike has Mavic SL with stans. She is trying to find the right tire combination. My sister rode my wifes bike and liked the feel of the DT Swiss. Your choice.
Weight: After building up the XS with some great parts that would be reliable, I think it will be tough to get in the low 24lbs or below. And yes I do have alot of Ti bolts on the bike.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm probably the only guy riding an XS but I'm 5'4" w/29.5" inseam. I've found the Titus XS frames to fit me perfectly w/a 120mm stem. I've had the LocoMoto, QuasiMoto, and now the MotoLight. The only issue I've come across is the water bottle location on the bottom of the triangle. It's not a huge deal but I did snap the top of a water bottle after going off a 5 footer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's some thoughts from a small woman's point of view: I'm 5'3 1/2 and 107 lbs. I ride an XS Motolite that weighs in at 25 lbs. It fits perfectly, tons of standover height and the geometry of the frame gives oodles of confidence on rough trail, the travel soaks up the roots (we have a lot, too!) and it can be scary fast! Believe me, weight is a BIG issue for small women. The ratio difference between a 150 lb. man on a 28 lb. bike and a 100 lb. woman on a 28 lb. bike is huge. Every oz. you can shave off for her will be noticeable to HER. It doesn't have to be as light comparably to a hardtail because the travel makes for more efficiency but if you can get it in the 25-26 lb. range, she will be forever grateful and happy. Yeah, it's expensive but she's worth it, right?
Here's my build:

Easton Carbon SL low-rise bar
Hayes MagPlus hydraulics
Ritchey WCS 90 mm stem
American Classic wheelset w/ Sapim spokes
Specialized RollX Women's Specific tires
Specialized Ultra-light tubes
RockShox Revelation fork
Thomson Elite Setback seatpost
Sram XO Grip-Shift
Sram XO long-cage derailleur
XT 170 crankset
XT cassette
Eggbeater TripleTi pedals

I believe you could get it under 25 lbs. w/ Marta SL's, XTR crankset, etc. but it's just a 1/2 lb. heavier than my single speed so it still feels super light to me.

I'll try to post a pic later....Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
motomom78 said:
Here's some thoughts from a small woman's point of view: I'm 5'3 1/2 and 107 lbs. I ride an XS Motolite that weighs in at 25 lbs. It fits perfectly, tons of standover height and the geometry of the frame gives oodles of confidence on rough trail, the travel soaks up the roots (we have a lot, too!) and it can be scary fast! Believe me, weight is a BIG issue for small women. The ratio difference between a 150 lb. man on a 28 lb. bike and a 100 lb. woman on a 28 lb. bike is huge. Every oz. you can shave off for her will be noticeable to HER. It doesn't have to be as light comparably to a hardtail because the travel makes for more efficiency but if you can get it in the 25-26 lb. range, she will be forever grateful and happy. Yeah, it's expensive but she's worth it, right?
Here's my build:

Easton Carbon SL low-rise bar
Hayes MagPlus hydraulics
Ritchey WCS 90 mm stem
American Classic wheelset w/ Sapim spokes
Specialized RollX Women's Specific tires
Specialized Ultra-light tubes
RockShox Revelation fork
Thomson Elite Setback seatpost
Sram XO Grip-Shift
Sram XO long-cage derailleur
XT 170 crankset
XT cassette
Eggbeater TripleTi pedals

I believe you could get it under 25 lbs. w/ Marta SL's, XTR crankset, etc. but it's just a 1/2 lb. heavier than my single speed so it still feels super light to me.

I'll try to post a pic later....Good luck!:thumbsup:
Great build :cool: :thumbsup: :cool:

Looking forward to the pic :)

And thanks for your input, now I don't need to fret about adding 1 pound to a bike with a 220 pound rider :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi all!

I am building up a new motolite (XS) ! I'm 5'4, 28.5'' standover and 120lbs. I'm used to a 14'' hardtail for cross country. I'm pretty stroked to built the motolite and I just can't wait to ride it. I will let you know how it ride once it is built.

Built:
Fork RockShox Revelation 426 Air-Uturn with poplock
Avid Juicy 7 160mm Avant
Avid Juicy 7 140mm Arriere
Pedales time atac XE
Poignées Oury avec Lock Jaws Noir
Sram XO rear derr.
Sram XO Shifter Triggers 9 vitesses
Cassettes Shimano XT m760 11-34D 9 vitesses
Chaine Shimano XT 9 vitesses
Moyeu DT Swiss 340 Avant
Moyeu DT Swiss 340 Arrière
Jantes Mavic 819 disc tubeless
Potence RaceFace Deus 70mm
Guidon RaceFace carbon
Pedalier RaceFace Deus 170mm
Headset Chris King
Thompson Elite seatpost

I dont know what the weight will be but I expect it to be in the 25lbs range. What do you think? hehe i just can't wait to ride this mean machine!

I'll post pictures a bit later tonight about the frame & parts :)

P.S. Girls, you are soooo lucky your boyfriend is BUYING you a bike !!! enjoy it !!!!! and guys, congrats ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
xtremgirl said:
Hi all!

I am building up a new motolite (XS) ! I'm 5'4, 28.5'' standover and 120lbs. I'm used to a 14'' hardtail for cross country. I'm pretty stroked to built the motolite and I just can't wait to ride it. I will let you know how it ride once it is built.

Built:
Avid Juicy 7 160mm Avant
Pedales time atac XE
Sram XO rear derr.
Moyeu DT Swiss 340 Avant
Guidon RaceFace carbon
Headset Chris King
Thompson Elite seatpost

I dont know what the weight will be but I expect it to be in the 25lbs range. What do you think? hehe i just can't wait to ride this mean machine!

P.S. Girls, you are soooo lucky your boyfriend is BUYING you a bike !!! enjoy it !!!!! and guys, congrats ;)
that build sounds great... can't wait for the pics, xtremgirl!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
xtremgirl said:
Hi all!

Built:
Avid Juicy 7 160mm Avant
Pedales time atac XE
Sram XO rear derr.
Moyeu DT Swiss 340 Avant
Guidon RaceFace carbon
Headset Chris King
Thompson Elite seatpost

Nice solid rims and hubs :cool: :thumbsup: What will the tyres be ?~?

I'm going to need to sit down for this one .... looking good :) .

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
xtremgirl said:
Any ideas on what I should put for tires? Conditions here are wet, logs, rocks, etc. :) Thanks! (I'm from the east coast; Quebec)
Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.10 are offer good overall control.

Move up to LUST 2.35 but weigh more.

Add a bit of stan's before mounting on those sweet 819's and never bring a tube with you again.

I'm pretty stoked with ADvantage 2.40 in the wet, but no LUST :sad: :sad: :sad:

Ignitor's are good for medium terrain but wear out fast.

I really like Minions and High Roller's for gravity over here.

Kenda Nevegal's rock pretty hard of course;) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
not the only

woodyak said:
I'm probably the only guy riding an XS but I'm 5'4" w/29.5" inseam. I've found the Titus XS frames to fit me perfectly w/a 120mm stem. I've had the LocoMoto, QuasiMoto, and now the MotoLight. The only issue I've come across is the water bottle location on the bottom of the triangle. It's not a huge deal but I did snap the top of a water bottle after going off a 5 footer.
no you're not the only xs guy, you have an inch on me brother. I'm super stoked about getting some travel and standover as soon as I get this frame built up, been on a kona kdelux 14" w/100mm scareb on front and minimal standover. going to put minute on new bike to match my marta sls for now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.