Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of a short multi day ride the week of July 4th.

Anyone done it and want to provide feeback?

Think there will be any issues with snow?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did it as part of the Oregon Timber Trail towards the end of July last year. Followed their route going up and over Bunchgrass. Oakridge to Waldo was brutal. Something along the lines of 7,000 feet of climbing to get up and over and a 20-25 mile stretch of no reliable water source. Disclaimer: I rode it during a pretty bad wildfire time, so the air was thick and temps were in the mid 90's. You ride through a old burn on the ridge, so there is little shade at the top. Once you can resupply with water, the run down to Waldo Lake is pretty fun.

Adventure for sure, just not sure I'd do it again. I doubt you'd see snow, but I'll leave it to the locals to chime in. Bring large amounts of water, sunscreen, mosquito repellent.

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did it as part of the Oregon Timber Trail towards the end of July last year. Followed their route going up and over Bunchgrass. Oakridge to Waldo was brutal. Something along the lines of 7,000 feet of climbing to get up and over and a 20-25 mile stretch of no reliable water source. Disclaimer: I rode it during a pretty bad wildfire time, so the air was thick and temps were in the mid 90's. You ride through a old burn on the ridge, so there is little shade at the top. Once you can resupply with water, the run down to Waldo Lake is pretty fun.

Adventure for sure, just not sure I'd do it again. I doubt you'd see snow, but I'll leave it to the locals to chime in. Bring large amounts of water, sunscreen, mosquito repellent.
That helps a bit, but I could use a little more beta as I'm coming up from Nevada and my wife will be running shuttle...

So I was looking at the Oregon Timber Trail site, which is a great source of information, and I think that section is more like a three day ride which is kinda long for my wife to be kicking around; I'd also rather ride it earlier to avoid getting cooked. I started looking at other options and I'm thinking the section south of Oakridge would be doable in two long days.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Check out the Oregon Timber Trail website if you haven't. You can get the gps route plus they have downloadable paper maps. ProjectMTB has the route as well.

https://oregontimbertrail.org/ride-the-ott

Oakridge to Bend is probably 110-125 miles, for me that was 3 long days in the saddle. Loaded up, I don't travel fast or far. If you want to meet your wife half way, there are some great camp spots along Charlton Lake, just beyond Waldo Lake. You will pass a ton of small, crystal clear lakes that are worth stopping to relax and recharge.

As far as a shuttle, you basically can start your ride right from town and can pedal right into Bend.

Hope that helps a bit, maybe someone else can chime in with more detailed ride reports.

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the Oregon Timber Trail website if you haven't. You can get the gps route plus they have downloadable paper maps. ProjectMTB has the route as well.

https://oregontimbertrail.org/ride-the-ott

Oakridge to Bend is probably 110-125 miles, for me that was 3 long days in the saddle. Loaded up, I don't travel fast or far. If you want to meet your wife half way, there are some great camp spots along Charlton Lake, just beyond Waldo Lake. You will pass a ton of small, crystal clear lakes that are worth stopping to relax and recharge.

As far as a shuttle, you basically can start your ride right from town and can pedal right into Bend.

Hope that helps a bit, maybe someone else can chime in with more detailed ride reports.
Yup, looked at the site, I'm thinking that section is too long to leave my wife hanging, so I'm looking at the section leading into Oakridge from the south, that seems more like a two day ride. I'm pretty fast and I'll be riding light.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,547 Posts
Ben, if you go Oakridge to Bend, you'll be doing it backwards. I know Oakridge to Bend is OTT's route but believe me, going west to east is beyond brutal. Instead, do this:
Bend to Waldo Lake
Waldo Lake to Oakridge

Obviously I've done it in 2 days but I've also done it as a 4 day trip as well as taking 6 days (cuz I wanted to enjoy, not just complete). I was originally inspired by this back in 2011:
Paul just did something badass

It is an absolutely fantastic route -- done east to west. Not the other way. Trust me.

Before you come, you should know that mosquitoes will either drain all your blood or carry you off that time of year in Oregon's high country. Bring a gallon of DEET or something equally powerful. Plus in early July there's a good chance you'll encounter snow at higher elevations. We received a lot of snow this past winter.

Here's another option that sounds like it would tie in nicely with your second route choice:
Moon Point / Middle Fork
Timpanogas to Lemolo
Upper NUT
Middle NUT
Lower NUT

Either of these routes are fantastic -- the Bend Over (Bend to Oakrige) or Fork to NUT (Middle Fork to North Umpqua Trail). FYI on Fork to NUT one must bushwhack from Indigo saddle to Connie Lake but it's less than a mile, downhill and navigation isn't difficult. The forest is relatively open through there.
=sParty

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben, if you go Oakridge to Bend, you'll be doing it backwards. I know Oakridge to Bend is OTT's route but believe me, going west to east is beyond brutal. Instead, do this:
Bend to Waldo Lake
Waldo Lake to Oakridge

Obviously I've done it in 2 days but I've also done it as a 4 day trip as well as taking 6 days (cuz I wanted to enjoy, not just complete). I was originally inspired by this back in 2011:
Paul just did something badass

It is an absolutely fantastic route -- done east to west. Not the other way. Trust me.

Before you come, you should know that mosquitoes will either drain all your blood or carry you off that time of year in Oregon's high country. Bring a gallon of DEET or something equally powerful. Plus in early July there's a good chance you'll encounter snow at higher elevations. We received a lot of snow this past winter.

Here's another option that sounds like it would tie in nicely with your second route choice:
Moon Point / Middle Fork
Timpanogas to Lemolo
Upper NUT
Middle NUT
Lower NUT

Either of these routes are fantastic -- the Bend Over (Bend to Oakrige) or Fork to NUT (Middle Fork to North Umpqua Trail). FYI on Fork to NUT one must bushwhack from Indigo saddle to Connie Lake but it's less than a mile, downhill and navigation isn't difficult. The forest is relatively open through there.
=sParty
That's looking solidly like a three day trip unless I leave from Bachelor which complicates our trip plans.

What about the south section leading into Oakridge from Chemult? Seems a tad less committed, certainly doable in two days...

and what's with all the mosquitoes?? Man, we don't got that problem down here, just rattlers ;)

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,547 Posts
What about the south section leading into Oakridge from Chemult? Seems a tad less committed, certainly doable in two days...
Haven't ridden that section. Have to check OTT's website but I thought much of that section might be road opposed to singletrack.
=sParty

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, a fair amount, but still some nice single track.

I'm not opposed to riding dirt and gravel roads as long as the traffic is bikes and pedestrians. Still enjoyable.

I did 5k of touring a year in the 90's, then got busy. This is me getting back to my roots :)

I just ordered a custom frame bag, exciting!

Haven't ridden that section. Have to check OTT's website but I thought much of that section might be road opposed to singletrack.
=sParty

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,547 Posts
I can't find the roads you mentioned
Ben, search for NF2422 in google maps and it'll show up. But first... well, read on.

I was looking at a map and what if you go up Salmon Cr. Rd. (Forest Rd 24) to FR 2422 on over to Waldo L. Then around Waldo on your way back to Bend?
NF2422 won't get you through. This road ends without reaching any other through roads. In fact, it ends before it reaches the Waldo Wilderness. There's no legal way to get through that way, not to mention the terrain and underbrush are extreme in there.

If anyone insists on riding from Oakridge to Waldo Lake, perhaps the best way is to climb NF2408 up to a short spur road (right turn onto the spur) that delivers the rider to a trailhead at the top of the Little Bunchgrass / bottom of Big Bunchgrass sections. The trailhead in question lies directly at the top of the legendary Deadly Switchbacks. From this point there's still plenty of grunt work to be done to achieve Big Bunchgrass' upper trailhead at the end of NF381, but employing NF2408 and the aforementioned spur to eliminate the Heckletooth & Little Bunchgrass sections is significant.

Not significant enough for me, tho. I'd love to hear from anyone who's done it.
=sParty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.