Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my bike is in the shop ready to collect. But one snag Shimano main distributor have no XTR brakes and no lead times. So I may have to go for a set of XT calipers instead.

Does anyone have any experiece of XT brakes here? How good are they and what weight sacrafice is there over XTR.

Thanks

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Try the 525 calipers? I heard they were just as light as the XTR's and lighter then the XT's and the people that used them were pleased with them.
Im talking about the ones that look like the XTR's not the XT's.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The XT is the same caliper as the XTR. The only difference is the XT's have less of the main body material shaved off making them a bit heavier. Functionally they are exactly the same brake and perform identically. They also only come in 74mm post mount so you are required to run adapters to put them in IS mounts just like you would with a Hayes or Avid brake. The adapters are mainly what contributes to the additional weight. XTR's come in IS specific mounts which makes them lighter. If you run a manitou fork the weight increase on the front will be very little since no adapters would be required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.