Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ridden in gallup, new mexico? i am wanting to know what its like, and what kinda equipment would be necessary. i am new to mountain biking and am considering new mex as a possible vacation spot to go ride. thanx

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
It's pretty much classic cross country riding in Gallup, and a light HT or FS ride would be appropriate. The High Desert Trail System in Gallup is a great SSR trail as well, as are many of the McGaffey area trails in the Zuni Mountains. Still, if I had only one choice it would be FSR29 for me, especially if I planned to ride for several or more days.

The trails are not very technical in my opinion, intermediate at best, but are narrow and plentiful and challenging enough to be interesting. Long rides are possible, although you will need navigational skills to do them. I advise getting a guidebook from www.gallupwaypoints.com or from High Mesa Bikes in Gallup as a start. You may be able to hook up with locals at the bike shop or trail head if you smile, offer beer, and talk slow... :D

There are developed USFS campgrounds in the Zuni Mts during warm months, or you can primitive camp anywhere along the numerous two track roads in the vicinity. Trails are not generally accessable in the winter due to snow and mud, but are usually dry by mid/late April and good thru November. The Zunis are occasionally closed due to fire danger in June/July, although hopefully not this year if the la nina precipitation pattern continues. Best to check at http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/districts/mttaylor.shtml before making plans during those months.

The Zuni Mountain MTB Trail System was officially designated as an mtb trail by the US Forest Service last summer ('07) so improvements such as trail signs and pass-throughs for the fence crossings are still being installed by the hardworking crew at www.galluptrails2010.com

Look for numerous improvements, like map/signs at many intersections, in '08. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you all for the info!! I am new to forums, and i should have introduced myself first. I am kris from houston, tx and i have an old DBR vertex HT with: Manitou R7, CK h-set, DT 4.1 rims w/CK hubs, FSA carbon cranx. Its been an awesome bike, just handles like its on rails. It is a bit old, i think they first came out with that frame/bike in 1995 or 1996. I have owned it since then, but i only rode a few times a month- and nothing really technical. Last year i started riding quite a bit- 4-5 times a week. i am seriously getting into the sport and started to upgrade it in 2007, hence all the CK and FSA stuff. I am thinking about getting a full suspension rig, but i don't know if my riding is up to the skill level to really need it. Anyhow thats my story, and I thank all of you for getting me info on gallup, nm. Have a great 2008!!!!

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Hi Kris, My name is Bryan...

and I too am a bikaholic
Not to worry kris, we all know what you are going through and we are here to help
. The first step towards recovery is admitting that you have a problem. Although most of your friends/peers/wife? probably will not understand what you go through on a day to day basis, it is important that you understand that this DISEASE is incurable and truly only manageable by attending our meetings. We hold these meetings regularly and if you are ever in the Abq area, I wouild be glad to share my experience strength and hope with you;) Ohh...I almost forgot the AA meetings generally follow the BA meetings and you must BYOB in order to attend

Meeting schedule:

Candlelight meeting (Bandoleros ONLY): RCC's on Tuesdays and Thursday 4pm-6:30pm (weather permiting)
*Guests MUST bring own candle

Sat/Sun Open Meetings: Trailhead to be determined at Thursdays meeting (weather permiting)

·
Registered
699 Posts
My name is Doug and I'm here to tell you about my problem. I'm a recovering bike addict like Bryan and I live in New Mexico. I stopped here on my way from New England and never left. It's a sad tale and unfortunately for me, the Mountain Biking here really sucks. Many of my friends have been forced to move to Durango to get some decent race training in. But I'm stuck here.

Here in NM there's all this scrub and sage brush around and when I crash into it, it hurts. The only thing that sucks more is the cactus. It hurts worse. Then there's these things called goatheads that cause my tires to go flat. And if that isn't bad enough the sand around here is so deep I've lost five bikes so far. There's no mountains here, everything is mesa and cliff faces. That's ok if you're into 50' hucks. But they hurt too.

And the elevation, there's no air here to breath and the desert is dry. Blowing sand really irritates my lungs and I have chronic emphezema.

I'd suggest anyone from Texas just drive on through and go to Moab or Durango or one of them other really hip biking spots. If you stop here, you most surely will become addicted to meth-amphetamine and have to stand up in this forum to tell your story.

Friends don't let friends ride in NM.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Chupa's too....

Oh yeah...and one other thing. They have these things called Chupacabras here. They're related to Makachuts and they can be pretty vicious if you run over one.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
LCdaveH said:
AA meetings? Always Alcoholics?

Signs of Bike Abuse

.d.
Dave, I believe you are the founding father of BA. Started sometime last year if memory serves me correctly.:thumbsup: (can't find the thread at the moment) READ: too lazy

Dougie, not much we can do for ya'. Your in way too deep:eekster:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I blame it on my environment.....

Mtn. Biker123 said:
Yeah, it all started in my youth but we don't need to get into that story...libations and medicinal herbs. They make ya do crazy things...;)

·
Hey, wait up!
1,540 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Dave, I believe you are the founding father of BA. Started sometime last year if memory serves me correctly.:thumbsup: (can't find the thread at the moment) READ: too lazy

Well, I do have this:

Bikeaholism - 12 Steps

We could add to the Signs of Bike Abuse: You bike at stupid o'clock, in the dark and in insanely cold weather - sometimes even before going to work.

.d.

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Dropin%Dug said:
Oh yeah...and one other thing. They have these things called Chupacabras here. They're related to Makachuts and they can be pretty vicious if you run over one.
Chupa?My DNA is derived from Tribulus terrestris . Dug,now that your married and joined to the hip with Big Wheels,I'll let that slide and look forward to seeing you on the long rides.

·
Registered
699 Posts
makachut said:
now that your married and joined to the hip with Big Wheels,I'll let that slide and look forward to seeing you on the long rides.
Ohoh....I think I pissed one off....:eek: Now remember Mark-y, I'm 50 years old so take it easy on the old guy....

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Stroke the ego

Dropin%Dug said:
Ohoh....I think I pissed one off....:eek: Now remember Mark-y, I'm 50 years old so take it easy on the old guy....
Now Dug,You have little Johnny all wrong.Little Johnny has done so much good for the local mtn.bike community .At times where no one would do squat,little J would pick up the pieces and continue on doing good deeds all throughout the mtn.bike community.Remember Little J started the whole race thing and pioneered such famous trails like the Winsor,rio medio,the Foothills,white mesa,Faulty,South Boundairy only to name a few.
With out Little J our trails would be trashed,unmapped and full of goatheads.blah blah blah,enough about the do gooders more about notaknob.
oops,wrong thread

·
Registered
699 Posts
Takes a knob to know a knob....

You're too funny....Lil Johnny is my hero and until you do something as couragous as Lil Johnny, you're still Makaknob to me :p

And you sure you and NotaKnob aren't joined at the hip...;) Opps, sorry Knobby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts