Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a used 2017 Santa Cruz tallboy online on Craigslist and wondering if it would be a good buy.

This is all the info I have on it
2018 Santa Cruz Aluminum 27.5 Size Large in excellent condition.
Aluminum frame, Pedals, handlebar,Original WTB wheelset with SRAM Hubs , 25mm Internal width. Full Shimano XTR drivetrain. Rockshox Suspension. LEV dropper Post.Equipped with the best and ready to ride. No cracks or defects to Aluminum whatsoever.
Unquote

If anybody could give me a round about number of what it is worth and what parts and maybe a link to the bike cause I can't find this exact model anywheres online.

Bicycle Tire Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks to be in pretty good condition but it sure isn't a "full xtr drivetrain" or " rockshox suspension". Maybe he took a pic of the wrong bike?
Thanks for the quick response

But I Don't think they did. The person selling the bike claims it belonged to a family member that died and doesn't seem to know a lot about bikes. But I asked about the drive train and it probably would be worth asking if it's the right bike but I'm assuming it is.

Also if you would put a price on it what do you think it would be worth?

·
Registered
210 Posts
bike looks clean, the way bike prices are going probably between $1800.00 to 2300.00 with all the shortages used bike prices are way high. I got my tallboy 3 right before covid like new for 2300$ the bike is great good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after further evaluation I have learned that it is actually a 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy but I am not 100 percent on which model it is.

I am thinking the front fork might be upgraded. If somebody could help me figure what model the fork is that would be great.
Also the derailleur might have just been upgraded from the NX to the GX.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Might just be an error in the listing, but 25mm width 27.5" diameter wheels are the wrong size for a Tallboy 3. The bike runs either 27.5+ (stock wheels 40mm ID) or 29 (stock wheels 27mm ID). Could be a custom build with 25mm wheels, but I'd hope they were 29's or the bike's gonna be really low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess there’s no beating around the bush now but this is probably the cleanest scam that I’ve seen in a while.

What I gather is they posted the ad on Craigslist in a random big city and then told the buyer that they are in another place so they wouldn’t be able to meet. This person asked me first without me telling him where I was located if I wanted to meet but he very well knew I wasn’t in his location. He then offered to make a eBay ad instead and sent me a link to a eBay website which is an exact duplicate of the original website. I sorta had my suspicions at first cause the price was pretty low(600US) but the bike itself is actually legit but the seller isn’t. I also asked on the eBay forums if this is a legit seller and if that link was legit and it didn’t take them 10 minutes to reply and tell me it’s fake.

I can tell the bike is a legit Santa Cruz because if you look close at the rear suspension bracket you can see machining marks in the groves where you can’t get in and clean then to well. I work in a metal fab shop so I’m familiar with this and also know what it costs to machine a part like that and no knockoff brand should be matching these parts.

So with my Rambling and daily adventures complete I’d like to apologize for buggin y’all with trying to find info on this bike.

But I guess the bottom line is be very wary of scams cause those buggers are getting pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
TBH, SCAM was already flashing in bright red lights in my mind when you wrote, "the person selling the bike claims it belonged to a family member that died and doesn't seem to know a lot about bikes." This is not from any particular insight, but from seeing this situation repeated over and over in these forums. Apparently us MTBers are a frail lot.

I'm almost tempted to whip up some movie blood and some Halloween prop limps and drape it over a bike of mine and ape the form of these ads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would make sense to target newbies but yaknow sometimes you get lucky with these deals.

3 years ago I bought a 2008 specialized enduro with that had basically been totally rebuilt 1 year previous except for the derailer and the rear suspension for 500CAD.(and it wasn’t stolen cause the guy had the receipts and everything) And yesterday a friend of mine bought a Santa Cruz 5010 cc for 700 so it does happen.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
but yaknow sometimes you get lucky with these deals.

3 years ago I bought a 2008 specialized enduro with that had basically been totally rebuilt 1 year previous except for the derailer and the rear suspension for 500CAD.(and it wasn't stolen cause the guy had the receipts and everything) And yesterday a friend of mine bought a Santa Cruz 5010 cc for 700 so it does happen.
A 2008 MTB in 2018 is a very different proposition from a 2017 MTB in 2021, not to mention a Santa Cruz nominally with XTR parts and showing Kashima-coated components. You can probably get $600 for that shown Fox Factory 34 fork alone.

And your friend either bought a stolen 5010 cc, or one with a hidden flaw. More likely the former due to SC's good warranty/crash-replacement policies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A 2008 MTB in 2018 is a very different proposition from a 2017 MTB in 2021, not to mention a Santa Cruz nominally with XTR parts and showing Kashima-coated components. You can probably get $600 for that shown Fox Factory 34 fork alone.

And your friend either bought a stolen 5010 cc, or one with a hidden flaw. More likely the former due to SC's good warranty/crash-replacement policies.
Yeah compared to the 2017 Santa Cruz my 2008 would be quite the stretch but never the less it was an excellent deal.

But there were definitely red flags in my mind when I checking this bike out but as you all very well know, the human mind likes to be a bit naive in these situation for the hope that it would be legit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.