Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given an old '98 Gary Fisher Big Sur MTB. I've had fun with it but I've really started to see the limitations with the bike. I know technology has passed this bike by, but wondered what I could do to make my ride smoother. My girlfriend just bought a 2006 Trek 6700 WSD (mainly because it was pink) and it rides so much better.

Are there any quick fixes I could try? Or should I just keep on riding and learning what I really want in a bike? I plan on spending a significant amount of money next year on a new bike after I learn more about the sport, my riding ability, and terrain I plan to ride on. I just have a need to tinker and think it would be fun to learn.

Thanks.

~pk3

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Just ride the Sur

Not much sense in spending money on any upgrades right now, especially if you'll be buying a bike next year. Just make sure that the bike is dialed in and ride. You're doing the right thing by learning more about the sport, honing your skills on your current rig, and researching bikes based on the style of riding that suits you. I know it's tempting to start upgrading, especially since the G/F has a new ride, and you see the limitations of an 8 year old bike. The money you save by not upgrading the bike now can go into the new rig. Anything you spend on the Sur at this point is pretty much out the window in a year.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I knew the answer already... but when I ride my gf's bike I'm so jealous. :D Plus I think its my manly duties to fix, replace, repair, make things better. (Okay, to break things first.. then fix things).

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies. I have more questions but right now I'm just gonna figure out what I like best, what suits me best. oh.. Quick question, I'm liking the Gary Fisher so far.. just curious what everyone is talking about when they saw the geometry of the bike isnt for everyone.

~pk3

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
What exactly is not so "smooth" with your Sur? Could be a quick fix like a tune up would help.

The fishers have a different geometry and ride differently than the mainstream thinking. Fisher calls it Genesis Geometry. I've never ridden one so I don't know what it's about, but I've heard it's "different". Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Fisher full suspension designs. I think they are outdated and unimaginative. I'm a Horst link fan and would recommend you a Specialized. That is, if you want to go full squish.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually took it in for a tune up so its riding as good as its gonna ride. And its not necessarily a terrible ride, but compared to my gf's bike, its outdated. The front suspension.. the brakes.. etc.

~pk3

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
yeah forks are not always a smart upgrade on an old bike. And disc brakes are probably the step up for a bike on that age. That may be impossible on your frame/fork/wheels. You could always get new pads and cables. That would make your old brakes feel new again.

Drive train components have changed very little so even a brand new bike will not be an upgrade in your shifting performance. Same goes for wheels, tires (except possibly UST), stems, seat posts, bars, etc... IMHO longer travel platform suspension and hydro disc brakes are the only recent improvements in mtn bike gear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to my LBS. They told me to ride the hell out of it, break it, then come back and they'll fit me for a new one in a few months. Suprisingly they said nothing of IBEX. :D

Oh, they also told me that I'm at least a size 21. To me that felt way too big. I dunno. I think I like my bike smaller but what do I know.

~pk3

·
Registered
126 Posts
pk3 said:
Oh, they also told me that I'm at least a size 21. To me that felt way too big. I dunno. I think I like my bike smaller but what do I know.

~pk3
Buy a bike the way you want it, the way it feels comfortable, instead of going on what the bike store tells you. They can make recommendations but in the end, it's you that's spending the money and you that's going to be riding it. If you like smaller, go smaller!!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
pk3 said:
I went to my LBS. They told me to ride the hell out of it, break it, then come back and they'll fit me for a new one in a few months. Suprisingly they said nothing of IBEX. :D

~pk3
So the LBS said the same thing most of us here are saying. The LBS wont mention Ibex because they are a net competitor that is how Ibex is able to sell a sweet bike for the price. Ibex has excelent customer service & can help with fit if you were to decide to go that way.

How tall are you & whats your weight :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about 6'2" 185lbs. I've been out riding 4-5 times a week. Every now and then I steal my girls pink Trek but I need to stop that. One the looks, ;) , and two the front suspension is so much better its so much smoother on the trails. But oh well, I'm gonna spend the next few weeks to months learning everything I can about proper fit and all that before I make a purchase.

~pk3

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Depending on your stand over clearance you probibly fit a 19-20 just fine. You made a coment about the 21 being uncomfortable so it will depend on the bike geometry. You might actually fit a GF, it would be worth a test ride. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I took the day off today to go ride. I mean riding is way better than work. Anyway, I'm going to start shopping around for bikes this weekend. I definitely want full suspension as there are plenty of good trails in my area and pavement bores me right now. Although I'm sure I'll get a road bike next year as well to build endurance and get back and forth to work. I'm pretty excited about this although when I went shopping with my girl most of the LBS didnt really have many of the high end bikes I've seen online. Is that common? But then again, I may not have known what I was looking at. :D

~pk3

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Depending on the sales area they will stock the bikes they can move. If your not in a upper mid to high end bike area then you will not find one unless it was a canceled order in that case they will be glad to get rid of it for what ever they can get without a loss. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, personally I'd put minimal money into the Sur... Get a basic tuneup and lube job if you haven't done that yet... Or if you are an eBay junkie, look for a couple cheap parts if you feel a particular area is lacking right now... I have a thing for stiff cranks. Both of my main bikes have cranksets and bottom brackets worth about as much as each of the bikes are worth. If you want a different set of brakes or different derailleurs, buy them, swap them on then get the tuneup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.